Kick off your shoes

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Aug 13, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I admit I don't like wearing shoes, but I must when outside, and when doing housework inside. Do you kick off your shoes every chance you get?
    In the evening watching TV, after I get inside from the gardens and am washing squash or sorting onions, or dancing around the kitchen while the bread rises--shoeless!
    I ashamedly admit to slipping off my shoes while at a restaurant (hoping no one notices my bare feet under the table) and when shopping, sitting down and taking my shoes off briefly.
    Is there anyone else out there that just doesn't love wearing shoes?

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I do the same thing. I tell people I have this special disease in which my thermostat doesn't work right and all my heat comes out of my feet.so I have to release all that heat...taking off my shoes...

Tooty2shoes and Islandlife like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Uhhh, no way, walking barefoot through this house means I would have admit that the floors really need to be vacuumed more often than I tell myself they need to be. I figured that if I was meant to be a good housekeeper, shoes would never have been invented.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Jane, it isn't so much that I dislike wearing shoes so much as it is the custom here. That is to say, it is normal not to wear street shoes in the house. That means barefoot, socks or "house slippers".

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't wear shoes inside either Jane. I find them way too restricting so I tend to go barefoot or wear slippers.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I generally wear shoes of some sort... almost all day long, inside or out. Otherwise my feet hurt too much to "bare" it after a few hours. That must run in my family. My grams feet always hurt. my dads feet always hurt... mine always hurt if I don't have on my shoes. not slippers, not socks, it must be shoes. sigh. otherwise I would be barefoot.

Islandlife likes this.
  8. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I'm a hillbilly, need I say more?

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have to have shoes on at all times, except when bathing or swimming. I do not even get out of my bed until my house shoes are on. I was raised where there could be creepy crawlies like scorpions, black widows, and other nasty critters on the floor! :eek:

Islandlife likes this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Me! me!! me!!! No I don't wear shoes. I only wear them on special occasion like attending a wedding. Here most people don't wear shoes unless they have to like going to work or is part of their uniform. Some people don't even own a pair of shoes, me I have only a good pair :).

DSCN3822.JPG

The above are what we wear when we step out of the house. We wear them to everywhere when we go outside the house and absolutely bare footed in the house, any kind of foot wear is banned. It is a culture here, we have no shoes to kick off :D.

Jane I'm sure you'll fit right in here ;)

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I try to go without shoes, mostly when I am in a chair relaxing. I have a neuropathy in my feet. Not many times when my feet do not hurt so I try different things to make them feel better. I need a comfortable shoe with good support. I used to be barefoot all the time growing up, not sure what happened to me...:(

Islandlife likes this.
  12. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

I kick off my shoes whenever possible. Looking at the computer, in church, sitting in the car or sitting at meals. But, otherwise I have to wear a good support shoe as I have plantar fasciitis. Best I can do is a light weight slipper once in awhile. I loved to go barefoot when I was younger.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I wear shoes as little as possible. This works well in the summer, not so well in the winter months!

14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh Man, I LOVE footwear! I could very easily go the way of Imelda Marcos if I weren't so disciplined ;) but as I've gotten older, I've opted for comfort rather than fashion alone. That, and another aspect of aging is that now, I always have something on my feet, my favorite item being flip flops. I wear them instead of slippers or house shoes, so they're by my bed for me to slip on the moment my feet hit the floor. I have a large wardrobe of flip flops, in a variety of colors and patterns. Ed actually asked me the other day "How many pair do you actually own?" because he realized I'm still wearing ones he hasn't seen before ;) I didn't tell him, and I'm not going to tell you, how many pair I own. :eek::p Just.......a lot, OK?

I will slip off whatever footwear I'm wearing the moment I sit down though. Doesn't matter where I am...the living room, a restaurant, movie theater, Naranon meeting....wherever I am, if I'm sitting or lying my shoes are off my feet. BUT the moment I stand, first thing I do is slip them back on again...even if I'm just going from the living room to the fridge and back again! Just weird, I guess.

Funny story about that.....I came downstairs for something I'd left on the counter, and Paige (my daughter) just happened to be in the kitchen. She took one look at me and said "You're naked!!!" :eek: I'd come downstairs without any shoes on....highly unusual for me. She said she was so unused to seeing my feet bare, it almost felt indecent! :D

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

If I'm out I wear either shoes or sandals and typically keep them on. Soon as I come into the house I either go barefoot (summer) or slip on my slip on slippers. Only slip ons as shoes style slippers are like shoes ;)

Summer times I do often kick off my slippers as my feet get too hot. Course winter time I often kick off my slippers but then wrap up my toes in an afghan or wooly blanket.

I NEVER wear high heels (anymore) and all my shoes are for comfort only. Flats flats flats with formal shoes only being a hair higher than flat ;) but I can relate to Ronni as I do love my shoes.

Ronni likes this.
  16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have to wear shoes when outside (fire ants, stickers in the grass, and of course, the chicken coop with its "deposits"). Inside, I can do without shoes, and in the winter I wear those little tennis socks that just reach to the ankle. It's enough to keep your feet comfortable here in Texas, and is the next best thing to being barefoot.
    Islandlife, I don't wear high heels (when I see movie stars or fashionistas wearing those four inch spike heels, I wonder how they do it without falling over!) but I do have a pair of "court heels" that are about 1 1/2" tall that I wear to formal occasions. Luckily, I can usually avoid formal occasions.