Ladybugs are Back !

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by mart, Nov 23, 2016.

1. mart

mart Strong Ash

Every fall for the last five years I have visitors that stay until spring. Ladybugs ! Its like a migration into my bedroom. When the first frost hits I find them in a single day`s time crawling on the ceiling and walls. They converge on one corner of my ceiling and most stay til warm weather arrives.
    There is an opening somewhere around a south window, which I have not found yet. They don`t bother anything so I just leave them alone knowing they will help with the garden next spring. I do lose a few and those I just sweep up.
    Have no idea why they like my bedroom,,I have no problems in the rest of the house. Its very odd to me.

hummerbum, 2ofus and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What about that, Mart. I wonder where those guys are getting in. I think its good of you to give them free board til spring. You are right that they will help you out when the aphids fly again. I think that this story is such a good one.
    Shucks--the only things that I get in my house are spiders and mozzies...and the odd yellow jacket.
    How many do you reckon are curled-up in the ceiling corner?

hummerbum likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

I would guess about a hundred or so. They just pile up together in one corner and always the same corner so hard to count them. Once the weather warms enough that I open the windows,,out they go. My bedroom has large double south facing windows so it gets a lot of passive solar heat in winter. And has another double window on the west side. Maybe thats why they like it.

hummerbum, 2ofus and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow-we !
    That is something else.

hummerbum likes this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd be more than happy to have ladybugs congregating in my bedroom for the winter. Sadly we haven't seen many here at all this year. Other areas have had swarms of them visiting - how I wish they'd stop by my garden.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't know if I'd like them in my bedroom! Laundry room, office, bathrooms yes! but I have a phobia about something crawling on me at night....even if they didn't move. :oops::worried::notworthy:

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

You know,,I have never found them on the bed. Not once in five years. When the temperature is moderate a few will leave the corner and find where the sunshine hits the wall but they go right back to the corner when the temperature drops. I wonder if they congregate when outside?

9. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Interesting story!! such funny little creatures!

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, I found that the ladybugs do congregate when outside. Had to have my electrical panel replaced recently and when we pulled the old one off the house it was like ladybug city. Hundreds behind the panel.
    We scraped them off then put the new one on !! Guess they are either back behind the electric panel or under the house by now.

11. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I love your ladybug story Mart (we call them Ladybirds for some obscure reason). I think they are cute little creatures. Have you managed to determine how many spots yours have?

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

No,,never thought to count spots. But this time of year they are everywhere looking for a warm spot. Have to rescue them from the horses water trough and out of cars if you leave the window cracked open or open the door to take groceries to the house.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Lady Bugs are a common thing to find in our old farm house in the winter. And flies. They seem to hide in every nook and cranny of the windows and come out when the sun warms them up. When I take the windows apart for cleaning each spring I find hundreds of them!

14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Same here Netty. We are having some much needed work done on our 1950`s farm house and they are everywhere. But just think of all the help they will be in the gardens come spring.
    Flies are not bad at this time of year,, at least not here.