Lakefront property...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sherry8, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We signed the papers last week and the property is officially ours. We have been working on the shoreline, moving rocks to make the shoreline higher and cleaning up the reeds from the marshy areas that wash up on our shore. We don't know anything about lakefront living but we will learn. If everything goes right, we plan on starting to build next summer. We contacted a surveyor to find out the correct dimensions and how high we have to build, we are in a flood zone and they make you build up so you don't have water problems. We also will build on a slab and our other option is a crawl space. Here are some of the pictures I took with my phone. If you notice a cottage, that will be taken down in the spring, it is way beyond repair and not very big to live in permanently. The property is over a 100 feet of lakefront (about 120 I think my husband said) and the property goes up on the right to make a point with all of our trees. October 8, 2016 camera 120.jpg

The shoreline was a mess and the neighbors said we should build it up so that is what we are working on. I guess part of the low areas gets water in the spring when the ice starts to melt.

. October 20, 2016 011.jpg
    we are not anywhere close to being finished but this is what we are working on...the stones will get higher and come back farther...hopefully before the snow comes.
    October 20, 2016 027.jpg

October 20, 2016 014.jpg

Jewell, carolyn, Philip Nulty and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That place looks grand and with a selection of possibilities. I like how the stone "wall" is taking shape.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Absolutely beautiful. It may be hard work now but just think how wonderful it will be when it's finished and you move into your newly built home.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sherry,..delighted to see that all went well and with papers signed the property is officially yours,..congrats.

You are going to have a fantastic view,..a relaxing water scene,..i wonder if the fishing is good there :),..you could sit and relax while having a rod out.

Building up a wall as a breaker for when water is high and there is a wind is a good idea,..i bet there are many stones you could take from the water that fell in over the years past.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

This is a beautiful piece of land and lake....looking forward to the progress.....

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

October 30, 2016 100 (2).jpg
    Not sure why my picture turned out so large, it is from my phone. Scroll down to see the tackle box and poles...when we go to the lake, we usually always take our poles. We have some pretty nice perch in front of our property... I love fishing and so does my husband, maybe after we are in there we can build a short pier...otherwise we were going to try making an area above the stones, preferably made of wood with adjusting legs to put in the water and covered with indoor outdoor carpeting. The other side of the board will have legs too that will adjust and sit on the ground. Just an idea we had...

Jewell, 2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We are trying to order a certain size rock (so we can lift them without hurting ourselves) to make the top of the rocks higher and wider onto the land. DNR really doesn't want you covering up the regular shoreline...a lot of people do it. Hopefully we can get them this week.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sherry,..i see the Lead Shot on your lines,..a short pier would be very handy when just sitting there fishing,..do you get good sized Perch there?,..a very tasty fish to eat :).

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Philip...is Lead shot bad to use? We are not big fisherman, this stuff has been in our tackle box for many years when we owned a small boat. We have caught up to a 12 inch perch so far and smaller ones.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Sherry,..12 inch Perch would be a really nice catch and you would certainly feel the rod coming alive.

Lead Shot has proven to effect fish and bird life to the extent many Governments ban the stuff,..there is a new type of shot with hardly any and sometimes no Lead in the composition,..using Lead Shot is fine providing you don't lose it where something can eat it.

Fishing can be very relaxing and very enjoyable and it sure takes the boredom of just sitting at the waters edge,..i was hoping to leave all my fishing tackle to my Sons,..Fly Rods/Trout Rods/Pike Rods,..however they don't seem to have the time to fish :rolleyes:.

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Thank you Philip...we will be checking for the other type. I would rather not take any chances. Now you know how long it has been since we went fishing last....the tackle box sat for many years.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sherry,..you will have to,.. 'wet those lines',.. as we say to someone who hasn't fished for a spell,..the 'BIG ONE',..is always waiting to be hooked ;)