Largest bird feeder

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Aug 2, 2015.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

On our 20th anniversary we were given a 3 night stay in a bed n breakfast outside of Fredericksburg, Tx called Settlers Crossing, in the early mornings and evenings we would sit on the patio watching the cattle on the farm across the fence and noticed a huge Fig tree growing at the corner of the cabin. When we got home, to commerate that anniversary we bought a Fig tree and planted it in the back yard....almost nothing else out there then. I overwatered the tree and it 'died' just to get away from me. But the next Spring it popped up and started growing. The last 10 years or so it is loaded with lots of fruit and since we do not like Figs we just let the birds feast. This last week was the first of their feasting times. There will be at least one more in a couple of weeks when more Figs ripen.

The tree is now about 25 feet tall and wide. All the birds flew away before the photo was taken but they are out there singing, chirping, squawking and making the tree sway almost in circles as they fight over the figs and eat.

Fig3.JPG

DSCN3540.JPG

Frank and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think I can safely say that, yes, that is the biggest bird feeder I've ever seen. The birds that dine on the figs will be well set up for winter that's for sure.