Lavender - How to Grow

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by JuliaSpirit, Oct 14, 2019.

1. JuliaSpirit

JuliaSpirit New Seed

Hello,

I wanted to start growing lavender because I like the smell and the essential oils + diffuser. But, I have not much experience with this kind of flowers and I want to grow it on a "big scale". So, there are a lot of different varieties.
    Can someone recommend a guide/book or something? I am kind of a noobie regarding gardening. So it should be really really simple.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi Julia,
    Once you have selected the sort(s) that you want to grow, choose a very sunny place.
    The lavender does best in poor, well drained soil that is calcium - rich. You can buy calcium for soil from most garden centre's.
    Once the soil is ready, you can plant your plant(s). Giving them a little water in the beginning, after that I would never water them again and never give them manure. You can work-in some calcium every couple of years around the base of the plant.

I do not know of any books written in English for this plant, but i am sure that other folks on here will.

I wish you all the best of luck. BTW--it would help knowing whereabouts you live, as the advice would depend upon your "zone".

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Gail-Steman likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Where you live will determine to a large degree how well Lavender will grow for you. It is native to the Mediterranean region, likes hot, dry conditions. Humidity and frequent rain will kill it pretty quickly.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Julia, lavender is delightful, but as you mentioned, there are a lot of different varieties. Some lavenders do well in warmer climates, others do not. Water requirements vary.
    Could you fill in a few details, please. Where are you and what is your growing zone? Also, "on a big scale" needs clarification. There is a place near here that has acres of lavender, and a local gardener has eight plants. What is your definition of "big scale"?
    Guide books have general information and are rarely written for a specific area. I'd suggest going to a local nursery and reading the tags on the lavender plants.
    Also, do you plan to start with seedlings from a supplier, or from seed? Those are two different ball games!

Gail-Steman likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I have a big bunch of lavender that grows quite well out front here. I pretty much ignore it and chop it down quite a bit late fall.

DSCF4717.JPG

Gail-Steman likes this.
  7. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@JuliaSpirit i had 3 lavender plants down my back garden which kept in balls the same plant as Islandlife and they got removed but i still have a large one on the front garden.

Are you in the UK? if you don't mind me asking :)

SDC13184.JPG

SDC15853.JPG