lazy... rubber tree

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by lori_15, Nov 11, 2016.

1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

It looks like it is doing great! If it was my plant, I would let it grow for a couple years, then start manipulating its' appearance toward more bushy.

Mid-afternoon sun is quite intense & could easily burn a plant that has been inside. Starting with the first or last hour of the day is usually safe, increasing gradually over time.

2. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

thanks for your info and tip. i was afraid if i let it grow too tall it would never bush out.
    i put out late yesterday afternoon and left out all night. i will bring it in and climatize it more gradually.

i sure would not want to lose this plant. however, i did give some cuttings from original plant to friends and theirs are quite tall...2-3'hi.
    what would be the easiest way to get cutting from their plants if i lose mine.
    can lop of piece at top or try leaf rooting?

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Happy to try to help your investigation.

I don't know if those methods work with this species or not. I've only done basic stem cuttings, in soil in pots.

Since some friends already have clones of your plant, one of them should be able to give a cutting back to you if needed. One of the great benefits of sharing with friends, family: backups! :)

4. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

well tis been a long time since this post. I have inherited another plant from same source. so now I have two from my mom.

however one seems to be growing faster and has new leaves all the time where the other just sits there. they are in same location in home. tho soil in 2nd plant seems bit more solid and 1st plant quite light.
    should I repot the 1st plant in better soil?
    or can I possibly put the two together in a much bigger pot.

can't seem to get pic to upload .png or jpg formats. what is max size for pics?

after several conversions and resizing...hope this works! Finally...

my rubber trees try to resize.png

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

6. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

I thought I did that. but for some reason won't accept my pic. format was heir taken with iPhone 7...maybe format is not accepted? ill try again

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Great job! Really nice looking plants.

8. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

guess ill just have to give the lazy one an extra fertilizer shot in spring!!

9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Few years back I had one of these that was in a 4" pot in the house. It slowly and I mean so slow it made a turtle look fast produced 1 leaf. As the new leaf appeared the bottom leaf yellowed and fell off. Still only 3 leaves.

I'm not sure what prompted me to put it into a slightly larger pot but I did and put it outside on the table of the front veranda and it mushroomed. Was probably 2' high when I brought it in in the fall. Was like night and day it did super well outside (which in my house was also one step closer to the compost pile) so not sure if it was the veiled threat of the compost pile or if being outside in a larger pot did the trick.

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

island life..wow great growth... thanks for the tip.
    what kind of soil? just regular potting soul?

i live on south Okanagan and our summers here get quite hot... rarely do i put my plants outdoors even if in shade of eaves.
    tho cacti and jade held up well this past summer.

Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

oops I think I reported and should have edited!!

glad to report that I ended up cutting on plant right down and making a few pots of cuttings. the original plant has new leave as well as other cuttings. im tickled pink!! rubber.jpg which have sprouted new leaves.

Cayuga Morning and Odif like this.
  12. mart

mart Strong Ash

all look great !