Learn to love eating fish

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by cajuncappy, Sep 5, 2016.

1. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I can eat fish morning noon and night and snack on it in between. I can't understand anybody who doesn't love fish. I can never get enough ;) :)

cajuncappy and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's really very simple, we all have taste buds but we do not all taste foods the same way.
    I like fried catfish and battered/fried or sauteed Scallops but do not like any other fishy creatures. I have eaten a few other types.....shrimp, bass, perch, shark, tuna, trout, clams, oysters and even Rocky Mountain Oysters (and yes I do know what they really are) and other assorted seafood while living in Florida but do not like any of them.

So I gladly turn over my portion of fish to any one who really likes it. ;)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Fish has always been part of our diet and we have it on a regular basis. I couldn't eat it at every meal but do enjoy it when we have it.

Advertisement
  6. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

We live in a fishing community. My husband and father-in-law were commercial fishermen. They weir fished herring(sardines). So yes, we certainly eat fish. The cold waters of the Bay of Fundy are rich in all kinds of seafood and is well know for its superb quality. Also, our area is know for its salmon farms. Our salmon is shipped world wide. In fact, we are having fresh grilled salmon for dinner today :). However, Bay of Fundy haddock is still our favorite.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We eat a lot of fish and enjoy it! We have fish for dinner two or three times a week (or more often if there is a particularly nice piece of salmon at the market). Shellfish, finned fish, we eat it all. The one exception is catfish--for some reason I just can't stomach it and we have a pond full of catfish!

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

MG,, catfish taste different depending on where they are caught. Pond catfish and some slow moving creeks and rivers can make them taste muddy. Larger lakes, clear water make an excellent sweet tasting catfish. I can usually tell where the fish are from here in our area ! We also have two stocked catfish ponds.

9. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

I have yet to find anything from the sea that I won't eat. Not over keen on fresh water fish, they tend to be very bony but a nice brown or rainbow trout is OK on my plate. ;)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Salmon is my absolute go to fish - fried, baked, steamed, poached, smoked - it is ALL delicious (and could eat it daily)

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Living 'inland', we never get truly fresh fish unless we catch them ourselves. Even then they are only good in the spring when the water is really cold. Later on they get a muddy taste and the flesh is soft. About the best I can do is buy 'fresh' frozen fish fillets and they are expensive so we don't eat as much fish as we would like to.

12. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

@2ofus This is part of a local fresh fish stall on the harbour side just a few miles from where we live. There is also an excellent shellfish stall and I am sure you could be in your element here ;) 20150830 Whitstable on a Sunday morning.JPG

Chrisle, Islandlife and Philip Nulty like this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Raddang, I had to wipe the slobber off my monitor screen--mussels, haddock, scallops, monk fish--that market is heavenly! I could seriously hurt myself dining on all that gorgeous fish.

Mart, it's the texture of catfish that puts me off. I've had catfish from our pond (a neighbor comes to fish, cleans the catch, and brings us some) and from the Brazos River and both seemed awfully "wet" to me (please, no jokes about wet fish!). Fortunately we have a widow who lives down the road who loves catfish, so I wrap it up and take it to her. The "regifting" is our little secret!

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Great recipe for fish Cappy,.. and mouth watering selection of Sea Food from Raddang,..i love Sea Food and Fresh Water Fish,..several times a week i will have a meal of fish,..or a snack of some sea food,..we have a Fresh Fish delivery to the local Supermarkets plus a Fresh Fish Stall in our Market Square so its a bonus for those of us who like to keep healthy and fit,..one of the snacks below from the freezer.
    IMG_5185.jpg

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Raddang - that is definitely a fish counter to die for! ;) :) :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  16. mart

mart Strong Ash

Darn,, at those prices I might go a couple of times a year !

Philip Nulty likes this.