Leaves falling off pepper plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by CHELLE, Jun 1, 2009.

1. CHELLE

CHELLE New Seed

I have several different pepper plants, the leaves are falling off from the bottom of plants.I don't see any insects on plants.
    All other plants are fine, this is a raised veg bed.
    Any Ideas!

2. Loading...

3. EdibleLndscp411

EdibleLndscp411 New Seed

I found the following on another forum. Hopefully something here will help. Here are a few ideas. Keep in mind that it could be a combination of things.

Not enough magnesium in the soil can cause leaf, bud, flower and fruit drop. Usually you would see yellowing of leaves, but if the mag. level is not too low, and you've had swings in temps, then you could see this happen. Try adding 1 tsp. of Epsom salt to a quart of water.

If you have had swings in temps with nights below 55*F and days over 85*F to 90*F, peppers will shed as well.

Poor pollination will cause flower and bud drop. Maybe you could plant marigolds or some other brightly colored flower with a flat landing pad like zinnias to encourage pollinators.

Drought will also cause flower and bud drop. You said, "...so I would blame overwatering (it seems to always rain right after I give up and water them)...". Maybe you are causing stress by waiting to water.

You might also find this helpful.
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic_ ... ut_Peppers

Good luck.
    Lisa

4. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Espoms salts for sure! helps keep on the leaves and the flowers!

5. CHELLE

CHELLE New Seed

Thanks for the info, will try epsom salt.

6. Taurussun

Taurussun New Seed

Had yellowing and falling leaves on Cayenne pepper, yellow leaves on green bell pepper plant, in last year's garden.
    Watered peppers two times with worm castings tea (this made from approximately three cups of worm castings left in two gallons of tap water for about two days. Bountiful harvest at fruiting time.
    Local county extension office a can usually source one to worm castings.