Leggy Beet Root Seedling - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Apr 14, 2016.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

My beet root seedling shoot up and got leggy because of the extreme hot weather. No real leaf yet and I was wandering can it be saved. What I meant is that will it still grow a bulb or will just continue to just grow leaves if I were to transplant it. Our daily temperature is about 34° ~ 37° C and very ?.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am not sure, but I think that if you give them a little bit of water, they may well continue to grow. We have periods here where the temps get into the 30's and stays for a few weeks at the time and the beetroots do it fine.

Over-watering can be bad, but a bit of watering can be helpful.

Good luck with those.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

well, I am reluctant to say they won't be okay, but i would plant some more, too. If it cools off I think they will be fine, but at those temperatures they may bolt while they are small,

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

If you are starting them then transplanting that could be the problem. Beets do much better if they are started in the same pot/place they will grow. Those small pots for starter plants do not have enough soil to stay cool . Tiny pots heat up fast, the larger the pot the slower to heat. I have never had a beet plant to bolt even in Texas brutal heat.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you all, the leggy seedling also happened when I sow them directly on the bed. I guess they must have bolted.

Thanks Sjoerd, they were actually standing in water when I started them. Beet roots are not planted here and we get most of our supply from China. As a matter of fact I got my seeds from Australia and they grow well in my old mini-farm but not here. I'm confused!!! ... maybe then the weather might not be this hot now or I had mulch for the seedlings.

Thanks Carolyn, you are right they bolted. Hmmm wandering should I plant them and just enjoy the leaves.

Thanks Mart, plant them directly got me the same result so I decided to start them in starter pots.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

If they are doing the same then its probably the heat. Try changing varieties to a slower bolting one.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

They were my last batch of seeds which I bought when I was in Australia last. I had been looking for beet root seeds here and I have not found any. Thanks for the suggestion Mart.