Lemon tree health...

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by sculpepp, Feb 15, 2008.

1. sculpepp

sculpepp New Seed

A friend got me a lemon tree seedling which I planted in good soil and have kept in doors since receiving it (I got it in November and I'm in Michigan).

It's starting to look very bad. The leaves (there are only 5) are starting to curl under and get holes in them, and the perimeter of the leaves are turning yellow slightly.

I have some fertilizer, 15-30-15, which I diluted in water appropriately and fed to it about a month and a half ago.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be going on with this little guy?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have never tried growing a lemon tree but I would think the problem could be any one or a combo of the following.....

Soil is too cold, warm from below as the soil must be kept above 65 degrees
    Not enough sun light or grow light
    Overwatering, don't water on a schedule, just when the soil is dry
    Fertilizing shouldn't start until it has it's first set of true leaves and then dilute to no more than 1/4th the strength on the label.

Maybe some other members have more ideas.

4. sculpepp

sculpepp New Seed

Alright, so no more fertilizer.

I have a special light for it which I keep on in the afternoon/evening.

I only water it when the soil is dry.

Maybe the soil is too cold then...
    Any ideas as to how I can warm it up? The table it is on is in the middle of the room, so we need to think creatively!

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Got a heating pad? Start out on a low setting and play with the temp from there until you have it warm enough.

You probably need to move the tree to a very bright window or to a part of the room where you can hang a grow light over (regular house light bulbs do not provide the spectrum of light plants need anyway) it anyway so plugging in a heating pad won't be a problem.

6. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

This may help . . . I hope the fertilizer is not the culprit. :scheming:

http://www.plantea.com/lemon-tree-indoor.htm

After researching further, I found this:

"Leaves can curl in response to overwatering, and the leaf curl is usually upward, exposing the underside of the leaf.

Leaf curl is often evident in late fall/early winter; the leaves curl downward.

If the leaf curl is associated with overwatering, then when soil moisture returns to within normal ranges, your leaf-curl symptoms should disappear."

Below is the source . . . you may want to ask them your question. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Plant-Diseas ... turned.htm