Lemon tree variety?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jun 20, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My dear husband has expressed an interest in having a lemon tree. I have no idea what variety will grow in a huge pot, zone 8b in central Texas, with careful watering and fertilizing when needed.
    My question is, what variety of lemon adapts well to a pot; how much fertilizer will it need and how often; and will it be happy in the barn during the winter months (Dec. Jan. and Feb. with temps going down to the high 20's and low 30's) but being protected from freezing in the barn.
    He has helped so much of my veggie/flower gardening that I'd really like to accommodate his desire for a lemon tree.

Jewell, 2ofus, Henry Johnson and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane , I have no idea the varieties that are available for pot growing but I see them advertised in my fruit tree catalogs when I am ordering apples. I usually get a Starks catalog every year and there is a page for potted dwarf fruit trees for patio growing and bringing them indoors for the Winters.
    https://www.starkbros.com/tags/indoor-fruit-trees
    most of them are out of stock right now but come Fall you could probably order again.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dwarf Meyers Lemon is supposed to be a container Lemon tree and it is good in zones 8-11. And is perfectly content being taken inside during the winter if needed.

5. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

:mad:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017

Advertisement
  6. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Jane, the meyer lemon as suggested by Toni would be a good choice.. I recommend you think about some of the bonsai practices
    for growing plants in pots, (even read up on it a little if you haven't already.) Use as large of a container as you (with all the help you can
    round up) can possibly handle to move the plant in and out of Winter protection..
    Good luck with your lemon tree, Hank.

2ofus and marlingardener like this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Okay, a Meyer lemon it is! I have a large (really large) pot, and a dolly for hiking the lemon tree back and forth to the barn.
    I hadn't thought of using bonsai techniques for keeping the tree in bounds--good idea!
    We will be getting the Meyer next spring and I've already made arrangements with our favorite nursery to get one for us.
    I warn y'all--if we are successful in growing our own lemons, I may turn sour!:setc_072:
    Almost forgot to say a big Thank You for all the advice and opinions!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    hummerbum and 2ofus like this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I expect lemon meringue pies and lots of lemonade !!

hummerbum likes this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mart, I have GPS.....when the lemon pies are ready come by, pick me up and we will surprise her for pie, lemonade and a good chardonay.

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, y'all would be most welcome, but we won't be having any lemon meringue pie for a couple of years. That will let the Chardonnay age properly:setf_019:.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Excellent idea !! But while we are waiting for the pies,,that Chardonay will do nicely !!