Lieutenant broccoli?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by marlingardener, Feb 13, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I've always planted Packman broccoli, with good results. Since I have limited seed starting space, I buy starts.
    This year I wasn't able to find Packman, but there was Lieutenant broccoli offered. The grower touts it highly, but that is hardly a disinterested source of information.
    Has anyone here grown Lieutenant broccoli, and if so, what did you think of it? I'd really appreciate your input, which will give me an idea of what to expect.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I looked it up and found this about it. It sounds like you won't get many side shoots from it so you might want to plant a few extra plants to make up for losing the side shoots.

Light:
    Full sun
    Head size: 6 to 8 inches
    Matures: 55 to 65 days after planting
    Plant spacing: 18 inches apart
    Plant size: 18 to 26 inches tall
    Well adapted to warm weather, these plants form smooth, dark green heads on medium-sized stems with few side shoots. Heads offer classic flavor and all the vitamins and protein broccoli is known for. Water plants consistently for best yields, especially as temperatures climb. If you like Packman, you’ll like Lieutenant Broccoli.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ah ha! That information is most useful, especially the part about side shoots. Thank you 2ofus, I hadn't found anything about it except what the grower touted.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I found Packman! The local hardware store had 9-packs of Packman broccoli, so I got one and as soon as this wind dies down, I'll get the plants in the ground. I'll put them in a different garden than the Lieutenant, since I may let one Packman go to seed and save the seed.
    Anyone else planting 20 broccoli plants:smt120?

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

No,,12 usually makes way more than we can use.