Looking for some experience based advice on deep planting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by kbsrt410, Apr 7, 2017.

1. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

I'm familiar with tomatoes and how they like being planted deep. They will root out from the stem and in my experience grow much better plants. My question is, what other vegetables respond well to this type of planting? I've read mixed opinions on peppers. Some say yes, some say no. But what about eggplant? Cucumbers? Anything else?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

cukes develop roots as they run along the ground but I don't generally plant them more than a couple inches deeper than the original soil line. eggplants, no and peppers do tend to grow a few more roots up the stem, but I have had them die, too planting them deeper. This year I am going to lay my peppers on their sides
    when I plant so the side branches all reach up from the stem. I am hoping that will keep them from falling over once they get large.

kbsrt410 likes this.
  4. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

Thats a good idea. Thank you for your advice! I was getting real mixed messages in other sources and have never been steered wrong here...

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Not a vegetable, but basil can be planted deeper. I plant my peppers at the same soil line that they have in the starter pots. If they tip, I simply put two stakes in, one on either side of the plant, and then put hemp twine between the stakes to form a support for the pepper.
    Carolyn plants LOTS of vegetables, so her method is a good one, but for us who have just a dozen or so plants--the staking works, too.

kbsrt410 likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Tomatoes are the only thing I plant deeper than its growth line in the sixpack its purchased in.

kbsrt410 likes this.
  7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I have had success planting brassicas as deep as possible, that is up to the first real leaves without covering the centre. Leeks can be planted as deep as possible. I have never had a problem planting my peppers a bit deeper, but not as extreme as tomatoes.(I have sandy soil) I stake my peppers with 3ft stake when I transplant them and tie a string arount the plant when needed.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    kbsrt410 likes this.
  8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

20170428_181215.jpg
    These are my peppers from last year...these jokers didn't die...now they are extremely topheavy with peppers as you can see. The stems are a little wider than the width of a pencil. I to get them that way last year, I kept snipping off the plant half way down twice before i took it oitside...then I let it grow...it got thicker each time I did that.

kbsrt410, Sjoerd and carolyn like this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I do plant lots of plants. I am experimenting with the peppers by laying them down. I don't want to steer anyone wrong, but I have hundreds of them in the garden. I am just trying to see what would be effective and time saving. I have lots of cages to use but I also damage a lot of fruit if it is stuck inside of a cage while growing. someone else gave me an idea of planting 3 of them in a triangle and tyong the tops together to make a teepee out of them which would keep them pretty stable.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    kbsrt410 and Sjoerd like this.
  10. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

Hundreds of pepper plants!!! Sounds like heaven!! I hope that works out for you carolyn. I've harvested many of buckets full of peppers off of plants that were just laying down. I like the teepee idea. I'm actually currently researching the best method for trellising my cherry tomatoes. I currently have them in the "classic string method" around 2 end pieces and add string as they get bigger, but i worry that the rods won't hold the weight as the plants get bigger....

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

K, you could try going to a farm store and getting the cattle panels for about 20.00? ea and making either an arch (get some rebar or fence posts to anchor the ends) or even just fastening them to fence posts horizontally and try that. some cherry's get so huge. I am putting some in the high tunnel and stringing them instead of cages. which might be a lot of pruning then. The panels are about 16' long so you need a truck and fasten them in the bed (an arch works fine, too) or a trailer or see if they deliver.

But what I came here to mention is lettuce also makes new roots up the stem. I noticed that last night as I was planting a flat that has been sitting far too long due to the cold weather.

kbsrt410 likes this.
  12. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

Good to know Carolyn!!!! I didn't know that. You're filled with such knowledge! :)