Lucky Bamboo Breeding

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by lukybamboo, Sep 2, 2006.

1. lukybamboo

lukybamboo New Seed

Here's my situation; I bought 2 lucky bamboo stalks from a flea market today because I really wanted some and they were much cheaper and healthier there than wal-mart's lucky bamboo. When I got home I realized that if I knew how to breed lucky bamboo I could save a lot of money and never have to buy it again even if my plant dies. Does anyone know if they if they drop seeds, or anything else or do with the topic? :?: :idea: :oops: :D :rolleyes:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. ava.k
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. stripedog
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hiya Lucky,

WELCOME to one of the best gardening sites on the net!! :D

I think this website may be of some help to you.

http://www.chiff.com/a/lucky-bamboo.htm

Let us know how you get on and why not introduce yourself properly to us all and tell us a little about yourself. :-D

4. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Welcome lukybamboo - sorry I can't help you with the bamboo but I am sure you'll enjoy this place.

5. lukybamboo

lukybamboo New Seed

Eileen,

ok my name is Travis, but most people call me trav for short. I am not sure what you mean by "how do you get on?"
    By the way I think that i owe you a thanks. Not to be ungrateful, because I will probably use your teqnique a lot, but I am looking for a way to breed the plant, not clone it. I really hope you don't take it the wrong way. :!:

Advertisement
  6. eileen

Travis I couldn't find any sites on the net that actually told you how to breed lucky bamboo I'm afraid. :( It seems that the only way to get more plants IS to clone the ones you have. :-?

Btw "Let us know how you get on" simply means let us know what progress you make with increasing your stock of plants. :) Don't worry you didn't offend me in the least. :-D

7. lukybamboo

lukybamboo New Seed

I've looked for it too and I know that they must be able to reproduce because they can't clone in the wild, and they could'nt have survived before domestication without hte ability to reproduce.
    I thank you for your help.

8. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

Welcome to you lukybamboo I'm glad you joined us. Wannabe

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I can't help you with breeding lucky bamboo, mine died. but welcome to the Gardenstew site. Dooley

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Welcome to The Stew, LuckyBamboo, hope you find the info you need on breeding the bamboo.

11. dooley

Other than size what is the difference between lucky bamboo and regular bamboo. I know that if you plant bamboo around here you can't get rid of it because it spreads by the roots. It just keeps growing and growing and growing. I know that the lucky bamboo that you see in the stores and the one my sister gave me grow in water. Does it ever grow roots? Mine died because my sister said, "Put it in the window." So, I put it in the window, behind the curtain and forgot it was there. No water, no bamboo. Dooley

12. lukybamboo

lukybamboo New Seed

A lucky bamboo needs in-direct sinlight because sunlight burns the leaves. Artifical lighting is great for lucky bamboo. It does have roots. The roots are the redish-orangeish stringy things that grow from the bottom of the stalk.

13. dooley

If it has roots, what would happen if you planted it. I think I would try just to see if it would grow new shoots from the old plant. Why do people just grow it in water if it has roots? I don't know much about it. I guess my house plant thumb isn't very green. Dooley

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi lucky .I'm sorry I know nothing about bamboo but wanted to welcome you to our Stew glad you joined us.

15. eileen

OK I've found out a little more out for you Lucky.

First off look at this website:

http://mgonline.com/luckybamboo.html

Sooooooooo, going on the assumption that lucky bamboo isn't bamboo at all I found this:

Dracaena fragrans "Massangeana" or Corn Plant Dracaena is one of the old fashion houseplants. They have rosettes of glossy, green leaves, broadly striped and banded with light green and yellow down the center. The leaves can reach up to 3 feet (1 m) long by 4 inches (10 cm) wide. When plants are grown in the ground, they can reach about 20 foot tall (over 6 m) but container size controls their growth in pots.

Continued here: http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week208.shtml

Take a look at this website too:

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/ ... grans.html

I think this info should give you all the facts you need now to breed your lucky bamboo. :-D

16. Jonathan lin

Jonathan lin New Seed

U could grow them bigger and then propagate

Here's a video for how to propagate your lucky bamboo

Hope it helps