Magpies.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

IMGP0253.JPG
    Magpies are on the prowl now - looking for the nests of small birds to feed their own broods. Speaking of nests we have four nice tall Thuyas on the plot and one has a Robins nest, another a Blackbirds - its really snug in the centre of a stout conifer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Let's hope the magpies don't find either nest Syd. Ours found a blackbirds the other day and took all the eggs despite me trying to distract them.

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Whilst its a totally natural thing this I think we all tend to feel sorry for the (smaller) victims - the same as when we see film of the Lions pulling down an Antelope or whatever. Those Thuyas are nicely mature and are due for a "top and tailing" but this will wait until all nests clear.
    Has to be said that Magpies are a very pretty bird - have some nice colours in their plumage - sort of metallic greens and blues. Syd.

5. eileen

I agree Syd - they are very attractive birds and very intelligent. When the sun shines on their plumage those metallic colours really come to the fore.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Magpies are stunning. I know they threaten others but I love their beauty. I don't think we have them around here...

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. They are lovely birds and I particularly like to see them in flight with that "dipping" up and down motion. Generally I observe they are given a wide berth by other birds but last year I noticed a Blackbird fly up to treetop and sit happily quite close to one - twice its size but perhaps it fancied a change of company??. Sat like it for ages and I took this pic - its long distance so not greatly detailed. Syd.

Attached Files:

8. eileen

Maybe the male blackbird was trying to make a treaty with the magpie. "If you leave my nest alone I'll tell you where the farmers free range hens lay their eggs." :chuckle:

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Who knows what its idea was but unusual for sure. Rooks are another bird which tend to be shunned and at a guess for the same reasons - can well imagine them being nest robbers and chick eaters. Speaking of Rooks have you ever seen a Rooks Court - saw it way out in the country years ago - this whole ring of birds making a commotion surrounding a solitary sad looking one in the middle. Cannot be sure it was that but it matched what I had read about them - any thoughts??. Syd..