Major transplanting done!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Oct 28, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I decided to move the clematis arbor to the back of the flowerbed which meant that we would also have to move the clematis vines also. The arbor was easy but digging 4 established clematis vines up and transplanting them wasn't! I hope I don't lose any of the vines. Our grand-daughter helped us with that. Then I decided that a Black Lace Elderberry needed to be moved over about 4 feet as it was infringing on a dwarf Alberta Spruce. It was pretty small when I planted it and I did not realize I was planting it right over the tree roots of a tree we had to remove. Oh my! I dug and fought to get a trench dug around the shrub and finally had to ask Mike to help. He tried to dig but finally got the truck and pulled it out! I hope it makes it! At least now all the transplanting is done and most of my plants are going dormant so I can start looking forward to next spring.

2. Loading...

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Holy Moses,..you had a huge task in front of you,..amazing when you intend moving the Arbor and the four established Clematis,.. which was a huge project,..then deciding that the Black Lace Elderberry needed to be moved,.. which turned out to be a mountain of a job,..congrats is in order :setf_016:

hummerbum, LIcenter and 2ofus like this.
  4. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Funny, the two plants I have had no luck growing is Clematis, and Black lace elderberry. Both could be pulled from the ground by a three year old. I did move the elderberry a couple of weeks ago to an area I think will be more suited for it. If in the spring it doesn't excite me, the next move will be the compost pile.

Philip Nulty, stratsmom and 2ofus like this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I read that zone 7 is about the warmest zone an elderberry will live in so your zone may be too warm for it to thrive. There's wild elderberry growing in this area so the soil and temperature is right for growing the ornamentals. Clematis prefer slightly alkaline soil and cool to cold winters. I grew them in west Texas but they really didn't thrive. They grew and bloomed but didn't get as lush as they do here in zone 4. We didn't thrive in the 100 degree summers either so we ran back to cooler (cold!) country! ;) :headbang:

Philip Nulty, stratsmom and LIcenter like this.

Advertisement
  6. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

The only reason I bought the elderberry was the many I saw growing around here. I'm not into soil amendments to satisfy one particular plant, so in my book, it's three strikes you're out! :whistling:

Philip Nulty, stratsmom and 2ofus like this.
  7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

You will be so excited for spring to get here!!! You'll keep checking on your babies to make sure they made it!!!

Philip Nulty and LIcenter like this.