Making Quince Jelly And Jam

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Quince blooms--
    [​IMG]
    Quince fruits--
    [​IMG]

We got a few quinces from the lady up the way. I had never eaten them before but she swore that the jam was delicious.

Here is the way we made it:

--Wash and quarter some quinces (leaving the core in and the skin on--the skin is where most of the aromatic flavour is) then boil for 45 minutes. --NOTE: Some add a small branch of fresh Rosemary here to be boiled along with the rest.
    [​IMG]
    --When well cooked, remove the quince by pouring the contents of the pan through a strainer.
    (a)--The 'water' goes back into the pot for making jelly.
    (b)--The pulp and quince bits are put through a little passe-vite (a sort of straining grinder). We ground core, skin and all; however, many folks remove the core and seeds at this point.
    We added gelling powder and sugar and brought to a boil.
    [​IMG]
    After working the pulp through a passe-vite(up above with pulp hanging down like yellow stalactites) the pulp is ready to be re-boiled and have the gel and sugar added.
    [​IMG]
    --We reboiled the pulp for jam (adding gelling powder and sugar), then brought the 'water' with gelling powder and sugar to a boil to make the jelly.
    [​IMG]
    The finished products. I actually like the jelly better than the jam.
    [​IMG]
    I cannot at this point give the amounts (quince weight/sugar& gel amount), as we sort of made the jam and jelly by the seat of out pants. That is to say, we looked at several different recipes and then just went to work.
    I cannot find anything written down where we keep the jam recipes, but I will ask my partner when she gets home.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Daniel W
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Ohhh man they look good! I don't think i have ever had a quince. I don't think so. In fact i don't think they sell them here....lol. But that is something i would haved loved to make and try. Well done you 2! It looks lovely, and the color of the 2 are so golden and pretty.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you very much, Biita...I sort of look upon your compliment as words with weight, as I know that you jam and cook much, much more than I do.
    I wish that you could try these. They have an unusual aromatic flavour that I cannot really compare with any other fruit. I guess that it is so unique that one either hates or loves it, generally speaking.
    Having said that, I admit being the exception to my own rule in that I love the jelly but am not fond of the jam. :eek:

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ooooh, that looks really good. I had never thought about making jam and jelly out of one batch of fruit.

I had never know exactly what Quince looked like until recently, then realized the 'funky' looking pears I saw at the store last summer were actually Quince. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The result looks delicious, please pass a spoonful so I can have a taste. :D I've never had Quince either, but I've seen them in the shops. I must get more adventurous.

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Your quince looks really good. Hubby says they used to make it when he was a boy on the farm. Wish we had some here-I'd like to give it a try.

8. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Quince goes great with apples and pears, if you are making a pie or crumble, just grate one or 2 into the fruit mix for added aroma. I love Quince jelly and we tend to use it with cold cuts. Mmmm!

9. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I've never had quince either but saw some in the store the other day. It must not be a popular fruit here. It was rather pricey for the size of them. dooley

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks loads for your nice comments. The jelly and jam is worth a try. I think that a person can quickly tell if they like the flavour or not. I always am in for trying new things....nothing ventured, nothing gained, they say. ;)

Did you say that you wanted a spoonfull to sample, Droopy? What size spoon? :D hahaha

EJ--I didn't know folks there ate quince jelly on cold cuts. That is a new idea for me. I wonder what it tasts like.