Marbled Clay Ring Dishes

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Venus414, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

IMG_0712.JPG IMG_0711.JPG Didn't realize this craft section is here. This forum is heaven!

We made marbled clay ring dishes the other day! Loving them to catch our wedding bands when we walk in the door or are in the kitchen.

Used a tutorial on Pinterest and made some small adjustments, happy to share if anyone would like!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OH those are really lovely!! My favourite is the first one and I'd be proud to display it in my home. You must tell us how to make them as they would also make perfect gifts for friends and family.

Venus414 likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My stars, those dishes are gorgeous! I love pottery, potters, and anyone who works with clay. I've never seen anything like your dishes, so I'm so happy you posted!

Venus414 likes this.
  5. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

They really are lovely Venus414. I like the second one, it would go with our decor.:like:

Venus414 likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

I'm so happy to share things people like and might use. I will post the link and adjustments I made tonight from home! It was simple and didn't require special equipment, so if you like them you can make them too. And share photos so I can mooch and get ideas!

7. Venus414

Venus414 New Seed

Hi all,

For anyone who is interested in making these, here's the tutorial I used: http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2014/11/marbled-clay-ring-dish.html

And here it is on pinterest if you prefer: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/162551867780203912/

The only more personal notes I'd add to this from having tried it:
    - I ordered everything needed for this from Amazon, including the Sculpey clay with a small amount of many, many colors, a glaze meant for Sculpey clay, and Sargent liquid gold paint. The reviews online for the latter product mentioned a horrible fume smell, so I was extremely worried about that (especially since hubby gets migraines and he had agreed to do this craft project with me!) but we had no issues whatsoever with the smell. We just used a small paintbrush to rim the edges.
    - We had good luck molding the clay along the outside of a bowl in the shape we liked rather than what the tutorial said, which was to allow the center to dip naturally inside a bowl. This was much easier said than done as we couldn't get the clay symmetrical - so molding it along the outside worked fabulously instead. Note these should be oven-proof bowls or ramekins.
    - The tutorial said to "remove edges" after the clay came out of the oven, but that did not at all seem possible (it was hard and would have cracked the whole dish), so just be good about making sure the edges are somewhat even before putting your clay in the oven.
    - Just have fun, because with the gold rimming on the edges, my favorite little dish was the least symmetrical, weirdest shaped one. It came out artistic and lovely and forgiving.
    - Also, I used the glaze on all of mine and my hubby didn't on his. Both came out truly lovely. The one without glaze is natural and earthen looking. The Sculpey glaze is really beautiful though, and I really like how it looks on the dishes. Feels more durable too.
    - Another tip - I made a small planter using the same clay and it came out so pretty. I did a matching saucer too. To help with drainage, in addition to holes in the clay prior to baking, I also added little stout circles to the underside of the planter, to give it some height off of the saucer to drain. I used my lease favorite clay color for these stout little "legs" so that color clay doesn't go to waste.

Hope you enjoy! This is really an easy and beautiful craft project. Hubby enjoyed it too!

Frank likes this.
  8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

LOVELY! Will give it a read and a try :) :) :) I like the second plate too :)

Venus414 likes this.