Mexican Oregano

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by marlingardener, May 15, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

As you all know by now I am an herb addict--just mention that a plant has herbal qualities and I must have it!
    Sicilian oregano, Greek oregano do well here, and I love both. But the first oregano I grew when getting to Texas was Mexican oregano (Lippia graviolens). It tastes the same as the other oreganos (at least to me) and is very hardy. One extra plus is that when it blooms the hummingbirds love it, but the blossoming doesn't change the taste. Here is one of our Mex. oreganos:
    Mexican Oregano.jpg
    I use it fresh because it stays green all year around here. I also have dried it, and it holds its flavor well. The bush can get rather large (this one is about 2 1/2 ft. across and 3 ft. tall) but it takes pruning well. Of course you save the prunings to use in the kitchen!

Frank, Henry Johnson and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That's a really healthy looking plant Jane. We use a lot of oregano here but I've never grown any. Maybe it's time I gave it a try.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Wow, that's gorgeous. I mean, sure, it's a great herb, but it looks so pretty it could be just as useful as an ornamental bush too, y'know?

5. Tacticalgardener

Tacticalgardener Seedling

I have never had great luck with the other oreganos once our intense summer heat gets here. I have never seen this anywhere around here, but I am interested now. Is it a good hot weather herb? If so, do you know where I can get some seeds?