Mexico native trees? Help please.

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by StarLiteFarms, May 22, 2007.

1. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

I was wondering if anyone here knows (or knows someone who does) about a particular tree in Mexico i am Interested in.

While i was visiting near Cardinas, MX I found a lovely tree with red flowers and some of the trees had many giant seed pods. These pods were dark brown and very hard! They were boomerange shaped and hard to crack open. The seeds are about an inch long and are kinda greenish/brownish (maybe both) in color.

I have googled my heart out on these and found Nothing!! I'd love to find out what they are called.
    They are not Tamarind, Honeylocust, or Sea heart trees. I cant remember exactly what the flowers looked like, but i THOUGH they looked like a mandivilla shaped (they were from a distance though.) I think I have a pick of one from a distance.. let me find it soon.

Thanks in advance. Please forward this to anyone who might help.

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

The first Tropical tree with red flowers and "boomerang" shaped seedpods
    that came to my mind was Delonix regia ("Flamboyant" or "Royal Poinciana" tree)
    The flowers aren't Mandevilla-shaped, though :? so maybe I've got it wrong.

These are the pods,
    I just wondered if this is what you remember seeing, with the fern-y foliage?

Here's a look at one in bloom (I hope this link works) :-|

4. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

Heres the only pic i have. Its not detailed really. And ou cant see the pods. They look similar to what you are showing me. Although, the pods are more flat. (from what I remember.) I didnt get to see the tree in bloom that much so I cant remember thedetails of the flower. The onther thing i noticed in my picture was that the leaves werealmost like long slender (palm like)? Heres the pic.. lol good luck and thanks again!! But I do love the pic you showed us!! Wish it would grow here!

[​IMG]

5. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

If anyone needs a bigger pic, I can email them directly from my aol account.