Mobile Home.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sydney Smith, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. A spot of rain during the early hours brought a few of our local protected species Wood Snails out on the prowl - very canny creatures these and not so often caught right our in the open. This one was slow and I got pics of it. Fully out of their shells they are tip to tail about 3 to 4 inches long - shells vary from the brownish colour shown to white - male and female??. It was in the grass and I put it on the table for a "photo shoot" session - I particularly like the one where it is looking over the edge - like looking over a cliff - care to put a caption to its thoughts??. IMGP0260.JPG IMG_8621.jpg IMG_8610.jpg IMG_8605.jpg
    Syd.

IMG_8639-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    vitrsna, eileen, Frank and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Love the first shot where the fly is hitching a ride. :)

Caption: How I wish I could fly.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have snails, but not that handsome!
    For a caption, how about "How did I get all the way up here, and how do I get down?"

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I love snails and these are some really great shots Sydney! Here in Taiwan they have come out onto the pavements after a shower. I really have to watch my step then. My caption would be :

Don't look down, don't look down *looks down* oh crap :(

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Wondered if anyone would spot that fly - it was there for some time . Good captions - you can almost hear its mind working - "now what?". Tell you what though look closely and how about the size of its mouth - spare our Hostas please. Syd. Note. Do not understand reference to " follow community rules" - did I default? - sorry if so.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That's my forum signature Sydney. It appears under every one of my posts.

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Nice pictures. I too, love the fly. He is being mobile on the mobile home....

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Frank, Barb, all. That Fly has quite a following - more popular than the Snail perhaps - could this be because Flies do not chew on Hostas etc.
    Ref those Snails and just for interest this. They were at one time used in "Snail Races" here in this part of UK, may still be knowing our propensity here for carrying on "quaint" (IF that's the correct word - choose your own as you see it!) customs and rituals. When hearing of this my question was well how do they keep them going in a straight line to the finish -apparently it does not work like that but the Snails marked with owners identity are placed in a smallish ring and its the first one out of it that wins. Can think of far more exciting things to do than that myself but to each their own - live and let live.
    Frank. I had not spotted that the comment was a regular item on your posts - thought I'd put my foot in it again. Syd..

IMGP0264-001.JPG

IMG_8648.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    eileen likes this.
  10. eileen

That second snail looks like it's carrying a humbug on its back!! Not that I'd be putting it in my mouth to taste it though. :smt078

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Not me either but those little perishers (forgive language) are in abundance and can lacerate a plant in no time at all. Needless to say we also have the "inbetweenies" or regular variety - this garden famous for its flying Snails - thats me throwing them as far as I can from the garden and out into the woods. Hostas coming on like wildfire so much vigilance now needed. Syd.

Jewell likes this.
  12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Great pictures....I bought a couple of bushes from a nursery and when I pulled it out of the pot, it was full of slugs and a lot of the shells were sitting on top of the soil so from now on, I am going to check for shells before I bring a plant home

13. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Those are very handsome snails. All of ours are imported as well as our leopard slug. Our banana slug is becoming endangered. Some are quite yellow, though this one wasn't so much so.

[​IMG]
    Banana Slug ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

One nature summer camp my son attended they learned about the numbing affect you could get from licking a slugs foot. :smt043:smt082 He was real impressed with the new knowledge.

eileen and Frank like this.
  14. eileen

I don't think I'm in any rush to test the numbing theory out somehow. :smt078I wonder who the first person was to even think about licking a slugs foot?

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, I love your sense of humor! This one was slow and I got pics of it.
    I can't top the offered captions, but sure got a good giggle this morning reading them.
    Eileen, probably the slug-foot licker was the same guy that came up with fried dill pickles.