Moon cactus question.

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by SadSunday, Aug 25, 2013.

1. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Hi. I had this grafted cactus aka moon cactus (from a simple super market store), that looked like this at the beginning:

[​IMG]

After almost a year, it "broken" into two. But now seems like both cactuses are "having kids" on their own. Yellow one has 5 little beads, and green one has one sprout. (sorry for a crappy picture quality).

[​IMG]

What should I do? Should I cut the sprouts and replant them? I also heard that moon cactuses were short lived, so maybe I can't do anything anymore? Thank you.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. gardennut
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. gardennut
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Congrats Sad! So the top cactus came off, and you just potted it up next to the bottom cactus, and it took! That's great!
    My inclination would be see leave the "babies" to see what develops, but maybe you do't like that look?

BTW, welcome to Gardenstew!

Frank and SadSunday like this.
  4. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Hi, Morning. Thank you :) I am good with the look, just wanted to know in advance if something needs to be done in such situation, maybe sprouts needs to be replanted to live on and etc.

5. Cayuga Morning

Sad--I really don't know but I tend to think that plants know themselves what they need to do to live, propagate, etc. Maybe those "babies" are limbs? Or maybe they are limbs that eventually become other plants. I would be interested to know over time what your plant does, or what you decide to do with it.

Advertisement
  6. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Morning, I completely agree with you :) It's fascinating how some plants manage to survive in worst condition or even to grow in weird places. Well, I will take your advice and see what will happen :) I like this cactus, and now it's way different than normal ones, so it's really more fascinating.

7. Landmark Landscapes

Landmark Landscapes New Seed

That's crazy! It's like two different plants now.

8. Cayuga Morning

LL--I think they are two different plants. One was grafted on top of the other.

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes, It is grafted and the reason they do that most of the time is because the top plant doesn't develop roots well so be careful with it. And be careful with those "babies" Maybe you can put them back. You would have to cut into the bottom one and place the others in the open spots. I don;t know much about that. I am sure there is more to grafting.

Bet some stewbie knows about it. They will pipe in soon.

10. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

waretrop> Yes, I have problem with yellow one. It really seems that yellow one doesn't develop any roots, but green one is fine, it's sprout is abut 7 cm now! Yellow's bottom seemed damaged and a little bit brown, so I cut it, hoping it will help to have a fresh roots, but as the yellow "babies" seems to stay the same, I don't know if I did the right thing. Thank you for information!

11. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

When my daughters cactus gets the little knobs on it they bloom big yellow flowers. It is a very slow process but they are beautiful when they finally do bloom.

I hope your babies do well. Good luck!

12. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Well, there is an update to "The Cactus Saga". Sad news - the yellow one died, no roots, it simply turned to something jelly like and I was forced to dispose it. Two "sprouts" seemed to be undamaged so I removed them for "the mother" cactus, maybe they will develop roots. But the green one is really fun and surprising. Not only he grows super fast, but now he has a weird long white sprout (I don't even know how to name it, sorry for a bad picture). The end of it seems a little yellowish, so maybe it's a bloom? Well, now I know that cactuses aren't boring at all!

[​IMG]

13. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

My dragon fruit cactus grows something that looks very similar. It uses it's tiny extentions to climb. Are you sure your cactus doesn't climb like mine?

14. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

I don't know :) It's my fourth cactus, and precious ones were really simple, so this one is full of surprises. Should I put some support for it?

15. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

I have to support my dragon fruit when they get larger as they need something to climb on. Can you get a clearer pic of what is growing out of the side?

SadSunday likes this.
  16. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Are you talking about red plant or yellowish little round sprout in the same pot? :) It's a baby sprout of yellow one, it's a little dirty, since I am not a very clean gardener, but I am hoping for it do develop roots.