More from Pyrenees.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Odif, May 3, 2017.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

goodgarden.jpg
    This is not my garden, but the best garden in our village. Right at the back is the vegetable patch and the whole rest of the garden is flowers and fruits, always something in flower.

tools.jpg
    The other day, as I came into my garden, I noticed these placed right in the middle of the entrance. I asked around but no-one had any idea about them. So I came to the conclusion that someone had seen me always grubbing around with my bare hands in the soil and this was a gift for me, so today I took the plunge and planted another 50 Strawberries with this beautiful tool.
    more-strawbs.jpg
    These are Mara des bois. I am going back to get another 200 strawberries from the gardener who gave me them.

Our first strawberries are ripe.
    gariguettes.jpg
    These are Garriguettes.

courgettes.jpg
    I also transplanted four courgettes to their final resting place, they will be protected by the mini tunnel for another couple of weeks.

tomatohouse.jpg

We have nearly finished our tomato house, just needs the plastic.

rogers.jpg
    These are some lettuces, onions and strawberries in the background. There is a row of radishes planted with carrots and that is a giant leafy brassica with the yellow flowers Chou Fourager (french for fodder cabbage) that we use to feed the chickens in winter. In spring we eat the flowers like brocoli, really delicious.

peonia.jpg
    This is a lovely Peonia flower.

damask-rose.jpg
    This rose, I call a Damask rose, I not 100pro sure that it really is, but the perfume of this rose really smells amazing. My wife makes rose vinegar, totally amazing and she also made rose liquer and rose syrup.

and finally
    skies.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Beautiful....and so nice of someone to leave some tools for you to use in the garden...I have a tendency to set mine down and have to hunt for them among the flowers...strawberries look great. I am beginning to wonder if they are genetically producing strawberries and selling them in the stores. They are red and hard and just don't taste like a real strawberry. Once in a while and we get a couple that taste like a berry but not very often....I can't wait for them to be ready around June/July here so we can get some good tasting ones. If we weren't moving in Sept. I might have filled my freezer with them.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a lovely thing for someone to do for you. I hope you find out who left the tools so that they get to plant up the strawberries you've bought for them. Your garden looks amazing and everything appears to be doing really well. Before long you'll be able to show us all your tomato plants - you should get quite a few in that tomato house your constructing.

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Best garden in the village,..it looks well laid out and the soil nice and dark,..i have the feeling there is good growth there,..lucky you to get a gift of some tools,..you may be looking over your shoulder and further wondering just who is watching that felt you needed some tools lol.

Your tomato house looks nice and sturdy,..here's hoping you get the plastic for it,..best wishes for good tomato results,..yes nice rose bloom and the Peonia,..strange but nice cloud formation :like:

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Some more pics and stuff. nursery-garden.jpg This is our nursery garden. We now have a plastic for our tomato house.

babytoms.jpg These tomatoes are desperately waiting to be moved to their new quarters.

newgarden.jpg Here is my new garden, which will become a field of potatoes, I am allowed to garden here for three years until the owner retires.

cabbage.jpg Here is nice straight row of mixed brassicas, I left 80 cms between my potato rows and 30 cms between the potatoes. Last year I planted potatoes 50 cms between the rows and 50 cms between each plant. I think this will be better, easier to get in and ridge them up and also leaves me space for things like cabbage.

7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Everything is exploding now
    11x11.2.jpg
    I´m a big fan of companion planting.
    11x11.jpg
    I took these pictures yesterday, all the leafy greens seem to have doubled in size since then.

Bigrose.jpg
    This lightly scented rose is at least 20 cm in size, unfortunately its not in my garden.

Attached Files:

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Your plants and garden are looking quite nice now. Far ahead of us here.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Yesterday, I bought 4 cucumber plants from the village market and I had 3 grandads warning me, that it is too early to plant them out, I will give them a mini tunnel, so there are no risks of frost. It is hard to believe that we will get more frosts, but I know our climate and up to mid may it can frost, so another week or so until I can plant fragile stuff out.

Jewell and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Lovely vegetable gardens Odif! I am patiently awaiting the day I can plant out my veggie garden...snow in our forecast for tonight.
    Your blooms are nice too. Peonies are my favorite :)

Jewell, Philip Nulty and Odif like this.
  11. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I´m lucky, that I live in this region, our temperatures range from -15 celsius in winter to about 40 celsius in summer, after hardly any frosts in march and april, Tomatoes and peppers were germinating outside, we had frosts in late april and on the 27th of april, it snowed all day and then we had more frosts, our last frost date is usually about 15th of May, but every year it varies. I am convinced that the frosts are over this year, but I will wait another week before planting out our tomatoes and peppers just to be sure. 30 kms from here, the cherries are ripe, but we are at 800m elevation, so we are well behind them. Tomatoes don´t always do well here, so I mostly plant them in a tunnel. Peppers and aubergines grow well outdoors so they go out. We often have thunderstorms in summer, sometimes a lot of hail. first frosts are in November, so we have a long growing season, Sometimes our summer is completly washed out, but in autumn Sept-Oct we usually have an indian summer good for ripening. This garden is about 150 m square of vegetables and the same of potatoes. I water this garden with watering cans and rainwater storage of 5000 litres.This morning I planted 40 to 50 gherkin seeds directly out.

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Enjoying your garden pictures very much Odif,..everything looks healthy and such a lot of it,..you have lots of space as well,..delighted you got the plastic for the greenhouse as well :like:

Jewell and Odif like this.
  13. Robin H

Robin H New Seed

Odif, everything is amazing! I'm new, and just investigating. Incredible access to gardeners around the world is flooring me!

Oh, yes, and your rose tea! Sounds like a delight.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hi Robin, we just made rose vinegar, and also some rose syrup this year, those are our favourites and if we get enough strawberries to make jam before the rose flowering ends we will put some rose in with the strawberry jam.

Jewell and Philip Nulty like this.
  15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

goutagout.jpg We finally completed our tomato house and laid the automatic watering system.

serretuyau.jpg We are now ready to plant the tomatoes.

tomsout.jpg here they are all planted out, they look terrible, but I am sure they are going to be alright, We buried nettles in the holes and I will suspend strings from the roof to train them up. I will post an update in a few days to show how they are. I will plant basil in between all the tomatoes and a cucumber in each corner.

16. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Looking good Odif,..you're certainly a hard worker,..top marks to you :like: