Morning Glories and Moonvines (Observations)

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cajunbelle, Jul 25, 2006.

1. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

These two plants are from the same family and have similar, but also very different characteristics. They both loose there flower after opening. As far as I know the moonflower only comes in white, yet the morning glory has numerous colors and mixtures of colors. Their main difference it the morning glory opens in the morning, and the moonflower at night, both as the name suggests.

I think God planned it this way so we would have something in the vast plant world to look forward to each morning and something beautiful to look at each night before we went to sleep. (Yes, every night before going to bed I go look at my moonflowers one last time.) I give him thanks and praise for this.

2. Loading...

3. NewAttitude

NewAttitude Seedling

Wow, I'd never heard about a moonflower before, but they sound really cool. I always have liked things that go about life in a different way and a moonflower definitely fits the bill.

I found a nice site that talks all about them over at: http://www.angelfire.com/ia/moonflowers/description.htm
    and apparently they can grow just about anywhere, but they like the tropical areas a little bit more.

Thanks for showing this cajunbelle. :)

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

NewAttitude, I will let you know when I have some seeds. The seed pods are just starting to form on my vine so it will be a while yet.

5. bethie

bethie Young Pine

It just wouldn't be summer without moon vines. We always turn on the porch light and look for the big moths that love them too. We grow a lot of the morning glory, cypress vines. Love the ferny foliage and the hummers love the flowers. 8)

Advertisement
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Our cypress vines come back every year. In fact in one spot I am trying to get rid of them bc I put a climbing rose and a jasmine on the fence. Not having much luck with that.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Plant search for [info=moonflower]moonflower[/info] and [info=morning glory]morning glory[/info]. Nice topic Sharon.

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I have a friend up in NH that wants a moonflower so bad but its too cold there. By the time it sprouts, it has only a fe months before it gets too cold and then it will die. Moonflowers ,Ive heard, grow best in long hot springs and summers.

I am planting some next spring.

9. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

She can always save seeds and plant another next year, they are annuals so that's how I do it. I have never had one come back, a few volunteers, I guess bc the birds eat the seeds. They sure are worth it when they bloom.

10. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Hers never blooms. I think because its so cold. Thier springs and summer dont get very hot.

11. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Oh, that's a bummer.