Mosquitos are a real problem -- what about bat houses?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by daisybeans, Apr 24, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Anyone have any suggestions for reducing mosquitos? They are just awful in my yard in summer. I can't go outside without repellant on me. I am diligent about changing birdbath and pet water, eliminating standing water, etc. I live in a neighborhood with small yards. I can't control how diligent others are abou that.... I've pulled up all the ivy because they lived in there. I'm going to plant lemon grass in a planter, maybe some catnip and I have rosemary near the porch.

I'm considering putting up a bat house but wonder if anyone has had a good experience with this? How many would I put up? Do they like a certain kind of place? Like in a tree? High or low? Whatever? I don't know anything about bats.

Would those mosquito dunks or mosquito bits work in the grass?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I want a bat house too....now to talk Randy into building it for me ;)

They need to be at least 15 feet above the ground, they can be in trees, on poles and the side of a house or barn.
    Get at least 6 hours of full sun a day. Painted black or dark brown to absorb heat.

Most will hold 100+ bats, so unless you just have a lot of bats in your area probably one will do fine.

Check out .....
    http://www.batconservation.org/content/ ... tance.html

they have houses for sale and also free build it yourself plans.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mossies hate citrus smells especially lemon. That's why I use cintronella burners in the garden (not for mosquitoes here but midges.) I also spray my garden furniture with a weakened solution and it seems to work.
    Tea tree oil is supposed to deter them too but I've never tried it myself. Failing that there are some specific mossie killers on the market that you can get from most camping shops.
    Bats may not come to your box unless you already have plenty in your area. There's no harm in hanging one though as you might be lucky and have a colony move in.

5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

That is why I was happy when the tree sparrows moved in...they are insect eaters and hopefully we won't have a problem this summer with them around. I am not sure how long they stay here.

We used to have one of those mosquito machines when we lived in the country and it did work pretty good. Had trouble with it after 2 years and it was too expensive to have fixed so we got rid of it....I think they were called mosquito magnets..

Be careful where you put your bat house so the droppings from them don't fall into your gardens....

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hmm. Hadn't thought about the placement relative to the droppings.. good thought.

7. Guido

Guido New Seed

Bats or high-tech solutions?

I just love the bat house idea and the pictures on the linked site. But it's inconvenient because it would be just above my terrace and I wouldn't like the droppings on my table.

You can find some high-tech alternatives here http://www.cleverandeasy.com/Home-Organizing/combined-solar-garden-light-and-bug-zapper.html. I'd consider those, but supposedly they don't work for mosquitoes, at least that my experience with ultraviolet bug zappers.

But if anyone has an - unbiased - experience that it does work, I'll order them right away.

8. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

i was all set to get one of those bat houses until i spoke with my sister. I know bats are great for insects and stuff but she works for a vet and was telling me how they are one of the biggest carriers of rabies.

I know the odds are low on them messing with me and the kids or actually being bitten by a rabid carrier but i see bats flying around now so i guess they are living around the area anyway.

sorry mr.bat...

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It's definately different when you have little ones to consider, GN.