Mother nature....

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Apr 7, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh Carolyn, a gardener could hurt herself with a high tunnel like that!
    Like Netty, I'm green with envy, but not sure I'd have the smarts or perseverance to use that much space well. Since you do, we expect photos and progress reports!

carolyn and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great foto's of the tunnel and tom plants.I haven't even planted my toms (still waiting on seed packet delivery). That production tunnel is looking very impressive. I hope that you will have the stamina to harvest and sell all that it will contain. hahaha.
    Like Jane said--I hope that you'll have time to post some pics and dialogue as your project and the season progresses.
    Well done, Carolyn.

3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Boy oh boy carolyn that is quite a undertaking and as Netty said very envious. I will probably never be able to afford such a wonderful structure, but it sure looks awesome. I have seen some plans for a much smaller version made out of PVC pipe. That I can afford.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I could live in that tunnel Carolyn. The floor space looks bigger than my whole house!!

Tooty2shoes, carolyn and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Wow Carolyn,..that's a huge tunnel,..you could have Grape Vines in there,..i wish you the best with this new tunnel and may you grow big healthy plants :smt026:smt041

Sherry8, carolyn and eileen like this.
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane... I think it is the last one. gotta go big or go home...
    sjoerd I obviously haven't gotten mine planted yet either. soon though I hope.
    Tooty... we found pvc to be as expensive as galvanized. look on craigslist for used structures. they are way cheaper. You just need to find a local supplier for the plastic and pieces parts for putting it back up. today I went to get 100 4" bolts for the skirt board... the first place had lots when we called... but only a bag of 25 when we got there. oyvey... for pity sake it was Fastenal... a supplier of nut and bolts. I hate the place they never seem to have what we need. then we went to home depot... 79c each for the bolts sheesh! went to Lowes... wowsers! Kevin just bought them.. 134.00. for the nuts and bolts. no way! I said to call Ziegler nut and bolt house. about 30 min form home... I picked them up for 15.00 and I will return the ones from lowes.
    Eileen it probably is, it is 96' (or 32?)meters long and 26' (7m) wide. I will be living out there.
    Philip... no grapes in there. there are 3 rows right at the end of the structure.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

A couple nights ago we had hail during a storm...no evidence of it in the morning except for a pile of it at the end of the downspouts for the rain gutters...I can't wait to see the building when it is finished...way too large for any property we have lived at..

Philip Nulty likes this.