Mustang Grapes

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Hot Foot, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hot Foot

Hot Foot New Seed

I picked mustang grapes 7 days ago. had them in a ice chest with water ind ice.wanted to make grape jelly, they look fine but think they are fermenting. are they still uasble for jelly?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome to the forum! I'm another Texas gardener.
    Your mustangs should be okay. If they smell slightly vinegary, they may be a bit fermented. That won't hurt the jelly making, just give the jelly a bit more "tang". Don't wait too much longer, though. You might get a buzz on from your morning toast and jelly.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, yeah, that shouldn't be a problem, just don't wait so long that they start getting moldy.
    They can also be frozen right off the vine without any ill effects. My in-laws pick them for me at their house and stick the bags in the freezer until I can get down there.

Don't forget to include the green ones when you cook them for the juice. They add a little tang to the jelly too.

If you don't have time to make the jelly right now, especially in this hot weather, go ahead and cook them for the juice then freeze the juice until you are ready.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yep, won`t be much different from making wine jelly !

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Hi Hotfoot, welcome here from southern Missouri. I dont know on the jelly, but the others think it is okay. Sometimes my grapes have fermented on the vine. I dont like mine fermented though. Which reminds me, I ought to see how they are doing tomorrow. Hopefully, Goldie left me a few to eat. :stew1:

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Or you could just throw some sugar in there and drink your breakfast . Makes excellent wine.