My 2016 onion store

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by EJ, Jul 13, 2016.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

image.jpg image.jpg I have had my allotments for 14 years now and during that time I have never had great success growing onions and garlic due to the plot having onion white rot spores in the soil. I would have to not grow any alliums for at least eight years to eradicate it, but even then, it isn't guaranteed. However, this year, I have had a huge, bumper crop of onions with hardly any white rot. My garlic didn't fair so well, but my elephant garlic, a member of the leek family, have done really well.

Sjoerd, 2ofus, carolyn and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW you really do have a bumper crop there EJ. Those onions would keep Ian and I going for months!! Let's hope the white rot is finally on its way out and that next year you'll have a garlic crop to show us.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Great haul EJ! If the neighbours find out you will be getting a few knocks on the door.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yay EJ! what a haul.

I haven't grown onions and am not familiar with white rot... what is that? We don't eat them due to an allergy in the household. or maybe we don't even have that issue here. I really don't think the majority of consumers have any idea what we are up against to produce food and to produce it on a large scale? they are so clueless. "Just go to the store and get more".... as if it is conjured up in the back room somehow. oyvey!

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That's a great crop of onions! It looks like you'll have plenty to last the year. We tie and hang our onion in our dark basement and they last from one year to the next.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a show you have there! That is such a good harvest.
    We have white rot in out lottie as well, which means unfortunate results some years. I use a liberal amount of chalk in the beds to try and combat it a bit.

Boy, oh boy--what a wonderful harvest you have this year. That ought to do you quite a while this coming year.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a great crop of onions!!!
    Now my question is do you really eat all of those?

We don't eat them, hubby is badly allergic to them. My grandmother, on the other hand believed that all foods prepared for a meal should include onions and all desserts must have pecans. The pecans I am okay with, but I spent a lot of time picking onions out of all her meals while she complained about me doing that.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My deepest sympathies to anyone with an allergic reaction to onions! We plant white, yellow, and red onions each spring, and enjoy them (except for the reds, which don't keep well) until we run out. We use a lot of onions.
    We hang them in the barn until the tops dry, then I prep them and put them in mesh bags in the pantry.

Attached Files:

Netty likes this.
  10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love onions!! I had a great crop last year, we will see how they do this year in the heat and drought. I have been using all available water on the veggie plot so it looks OK.
    Great looking harvest EJ!

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Looks like a really good crop you've got there. :)