My First Attempt at Starting

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by SylvieB, Mar 13, 2017.

1. SylvieB

SylvieB New Seed

Morning, everyone!

I started my first tray the weekend of March 4th and things are progressing nicely! I started seeds for Petunia, Zinnia, Morning Glory, Cosmos, Holly Hock, Black-Eyed Susan, Cardinal Climber, as well as some herbs like cilantro, parsley and sweet basil.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from SylvieB's Garden )

The Morning Glory (first 7 pots on the right) has taken off in just 9 days! They are now about 3 inches tall. I believe the seed packet says to thin/transplant at 12" but that seems a bit tall and I would think they would fall over at that point! I bought larger Jiffy pots this past weekend but I'm wondering when is a good time to transplant these to those larger pots and how many should go in one pot? I believe I put about 5 seeds in each pot, but as I said, this was my first attempt so maybe that was too many...?

Jewell, purpleinopp and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Pretty ambitious this early in considering you are in zone 4b. Cardinal climber, and Morning glories do just fine planting outside after your last frost date. Even indoors they should be started close to or after the end of your last frost date.

4. SylvieB

SylvieB New Seed

I thought I was safe, considering the directions on the seed packet said to start 8 weeks from your last frost, which for us is around the first week of May. And I like I said, I'm a beginner at this ;)

Can anyone offer suggestions as to when to start thinning and/or transfer them to larger pots? Thanks!

5. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

A quick search says one to a 3 inch peat pot. MG's don't transplant well, so you will need to plant the entire peat pot for better results. If you plan on keeping them in a pot, then you need to start them in a pot no smaller than 10 inches in diameter.
    Sorry if you thought I was picking on you.

Advertisement
  6. SylvieB

SylvieB New Seed

Not at all, LIcenter! :D

I plan on keeping the MGs in a pot, at least this year. Right now the current owner of the home I'm buying has all of her flower beds against the house filled with rocks so hopefully next spring I'll be able to redo them. Taking all the rocks out and re-grading, etc.

We transplanted all of the MGs and sunflowers last night and they are doing well so far! The only things that have not popped out of the soil yet is the parsley and mint.

7. Tacticalgardener

Tacticalgardener Seedling

A little off the subject, but I had the same thing SylvieB. The house I moved too had rock in all their planting areas. The weed barrier under the rocks deteriorated years before so the rock was all mixed in the soil. BIG JOB! Hundreds of pounds of rock. It was definitely worth it when I got it all done though. I love my flower beads!