My First!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Islandlife, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

This spring was the first time I ever planted and grew Sunflowers. Unfortunately I chose Russian Mammoth - going on the theory that bigger would be better.

So I had to stand on the top deck to get a photo of the first flower as the stem is 'about' nine feet (3 meters) high! You can see in the second photo the 1 yellow flower that has finally emerged.

I wanted to grow sunflower seeds for the birds. Probably should have chosen a shorter variety..........ahhh well........live and learn ;)

Suggestions for another variety?

DSCF3301.JPG

DSCF3303.JPG

Frank, hummerbum, waretrop and 3 others like this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know a few dwarf sunflowers that you might want to look out for:-

Little Leo

Teddy Bear

Firecracker

Big Smile

There are bound to be lots more but these are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I like the Teddy Bear and the reddish ones

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@ Eileen and Stratsmom - Wrote down those varieties in my book for next spring. I actually thought the "Mammoth" reference referred to the size of the flower and I wanted big flowers as I am basically growing these for the birds......ahh well - live and learn. The flower might get bigger. I have 4 of these growing and they've well surpassed the fence. The one thing I have heard a couple times now is people who walk the pathway behind me comment on seeing the sunflower cause it is so tall and high ;)

Advertisement
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have planted Black Oil Sunflowers several times. They do grow 6 to 10 feet tall but I've read that they have the highest amount of oil and is what is sold for bird seed. I planted them behind the shrub bed one year and had a neighbor walk over to find out what was so tall. One year I planted a mixed package of sunflowers that were red, yellow, and bi-colors. All sizes and colors. That was fun to look at. :)

Islandlife likes this.
  6. kate

kate In Flower

Mine mutated....gross.
    It had three heads and attracted the Wasps.... :smt091:smt089
    For height I could not fault it but the heads were horrid in the extreme.
    K

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@ 2ofus - I love the mixed colour ones. This big guys were super easy to grow but I think next year I want the colour.

@ Kate - Ewww gross if they mutated and attracted wasps!

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I think next year I''l plant the black oil sunflowers behind the shrubs but plant the
    mixed colored ones in front of the shrubs. I had forgotten how well I liked them. :confused:

Islandlife likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@2ofus - I'm going to see how many flower heads I get off these monsters I planted this year. I'm thinking, since I still have seeds left and since they don't really take much space, to plant them in the back again next year and shorter colourful ones up front too :)