My Peace Lily is not happy

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Kay, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I have a Peace Lily that was given to me in March. It's about 2 feet tall, so not a baby. I've just noticed that some of the leaf tips are turning brown, but it's still growing new leaves. It sits in a room with south and east exposure, but isn't directly in a window.
    Am I overwatering? Underwatering? I try to wait until the potting mix is dry when I push my finger down in it to water. Do you think it might like to go outdoors on my deck which is mostly shady with filtered sun?
    Any help? Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. nilbert
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Bluewing0

Bluewing0 Seedling

Kay,

Some plants like the peace lily and spiders can get brown tips from being too wet or dry, also using hard water (accumulation of salts) and/or over feeding. When you can get it, rain water will help with that, or, you can fill a jug "without the top" so the Chlorine evaporates after a day or two.
    Fluorides will not evaporate, another reason plants can get brown tips.
    Keep the plant some what root-bound with fast draining soil.I'll water mine when the top inch starts to feel a little dry.

As long as it's not too hot outdoors, your plant should be ok. I put mine out in the "shade" but it drooped anyway a while later from the higher temperature change, so be careful.

4. Kay

Bluewing- Thank you so much for your prompt reply to my question. Your comments are good.
    I do keep several jugs of water filled and sitting so that it's not directly out of the tap... but we do have flouride in our water here. I never considered that. I do have a rain barrel (new this year) :) So, I will try using that.
    Thanks to Mother Nature, it is full! We had 4 1/2 inches of rain that washed out the 4th of July this year! It does get hot in these parts in the summer, but right now, temps have been hovering in the mid to high 80s. Maybe a spell on the deck would be worth a try till it starts cookin again.
    Much appreciated!

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

From my experience, they don't like direct sun or too much heat and are hard to overwater.

The info about tapwater is interesting.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you can't get enough rain water for your Peace Lily then try boiling water and then letting it stand until thoroughly cool. This should help to eliminate anything harmful in the tap water.
    I don't water mine until the leaves begin to droop - a good indication that they are thirsty. ;) Like the others have said they don't like strong light or too much heat, like to be pot-bound and but do take quite a bit of water.

7. shadygardener

shadygardener New Seed

I like all the previous suggestions. They are very informative and all true. I have learned that Peace Lilies do like a lot of water, but I think it is a good idea to wait for the leaves to droop, thus telling you the plant is thirsty. My mother used to boil the water first and let it sit to cool before watering her plants. Now she fills jugs and lets them set topless for a day or two before using, but I forgot all about that. Just wondered if you knew that Peace Lilies are one of the best plants for cleaning the air inside your house. My plants have always enjoyed spending the summer out on my porch, but make sure Peace Lilies get no direct sun, or the leaves will scorch. Also, usually browning on the leaf tips indicates lack of humidity, probably due to your air conditioner. Misting is a lot of trouble, but might be helpful. :stew1:

8. Kay

Daisybeans, Eileen, Shadygardener: Thanks!
    Good info and advice. Much appreciated.
    No shortage of rainwater here! ;)
    We do have the A/C on... I'm going to put it outdoors a few days to see what happens. It might like to join all the others out there. Plenty of humidity out there too!