My Peace Lily

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Feb 2, 2009.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hi all, I have a peace lily and it has some flowers on it does anyone know how to get the seeds? Do I just wait til it dries out or what do I do? Any info would be appreciated.
    Thank You Margie

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Margie.

Peace Lilies seeds are located on the green structure (pod) that appears in the middle of the flower. Wait until the pods turn brown (then black) before cutting them off. Use tweezers or a nail file to scrape the seeds off the pod for planting. You can cut the flower stem on your Peace Lily at the point where it emerges from the leaves. Starting Peace Lily seedlings this way is a slow process, and they will take several years to flower. Dividing the plant's roots is a much faster way of propagating them. Hope this helps.

Here's are piccies of the seed head:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

peace Lily

Thank you so much Eileen, I thought thats the way it was done but I wasnt sure , I did take the seed of,But I didnt know it took years to grow, I have 4 of them and I did divide 2 of them and they are doing great, I always have alot of flowers on them with the seeds so I just thought I would start some new ones.
    Thank you Margie

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Great to hear how to start Peace Lilies from seed. I wasn't letting them ripen enough. Love the plant, just wish they would not get so big so fast and out grow their space in my small house.

6. wilsonmian

wilsonmian Seedling

hi its interesting information and very newer to me many times i have seen peace lilly but i didn't thought about its seeds and now when i read your post it really increased my knowledge.....i would like to say you thanks.....