My plants are SO confused!!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

The temps here in Tennessee have been unseasonably warm. With the exception of a couple of dips, it's been in between the 50's and the 70's for weeks now!! It was almost 70 degrees yesterday...last Christmas day it was snowing! It is predicted to be 73 degrees today, and and will remain in the high 60's/low 70's for much of the week.

My poor plants don't have a clue how to deal.

Can't remember the name of the flower, but these bulbs aren't supposed to be pushing through till the spring!
    [​IMG]

Flowers!!! Not supposed to be flowering!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My daylillies have totally come back!
    [​IMG]

There are others too....I just gave you some highlights here as examples. Trees and bushes are budding, there are other plants flowering....it's crazy. Seriously guys, what's going to happen to these plants? It IS predicted to actually get cold again, and there's talk of experiencing a hard, short winter once this ridiculous warm spell goes away. So what happens to the poor plants? Will they go back into hibernation again? Will this craziness affect when/how they come back in the spring?

Share your wisdom with me will you? I am really feeling for my poor plants at the moment! :(

Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree ... this cant be good. I have yarrow, vinca and dianthus blooming at the moment. I think that the amount of daylight also plays a part in how much plants will grow, so I hoping there will be no extreme growth spurts.

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

It was 75 degrees yesterday!!! The roses are even starting to bloom! :eek:

The forecast will continue mild for several more days, but even when it turns colder the predictions are still very mild....50's for the next couple weeks at least. The extended predictions are a vague sort of thing about a short but cold winter when we finally get there.

So ....should I be doing something for these plants?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015