My prehistoric pets

Discussion in 'Pets' started by EJ, Apr 15, 2016.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

image.jpg Not only do we have our fluffy cosmo the labrador, we also have these four monsters, all rescues, and I adore them. The two outer torties are Tom and Bertha, spur thighed tortoises, about sixty years old, then middle right is travis, a hermans who is approximately 10 and middle left is clover, also a spur thighed and she is approximately 45. They are all in my garden from April until October, then the spur thighs hibernate whilst travis come indoors into a heated vivarium. Honestly, they are a joy.

Sjoerd, eileen, stratsmom and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Aren't they just the cutest prehistoric creatures.
    We have a friend who has a rescued box turtle and it is spoiled rotten, almost as bad as our cat.

stratsmom likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What lovely pets! I have a soft spot for turtles, and enjoy watching them sunbathe on our pond's bank. Ours are mostly red-eared sliders, with a few snapping turtles thrown in.
    Turtles.jpg

How did you determine how old yours are?

eileen and Philip Nulty like this.
  5. CJay

CJay In Flower

I love turtles and snakes. Though I haven't had turtles since I was little. We just had sliders though.

Have baby snakes though.

Bella is almost a year old now.
    [​IMG]

And Fluffy is about six months.
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. EJ

Regarding age, we askd the previous owners how long they had them and about their history. Tom and Bertha were probably smuggled into the country in a holiday makers suitcase. They were kept in a factory way back when and had a hole drilled in their shells and they were chained to a table, then a worker took them home for his baby daughter as pets, and when she no longer wanted them, she was in her 50s. She didn't want to part with them really but she had moved into a new house with a tiny garden and couldn't provide them with an area of their own, so of course, they took great pleasure in scoffing her bedding plants. Travis was owned by a young guy who moved into a small flat and he didn't have room for him, he had owned him for a couple of years, and we have had him for seven, so we figure he is between 10 and 15. Clover was my father in laws torty, purchased when they had their youngest, who is now in his 40's but she wasn't a baby, probably another smuggled girl, so we assume around 45 but she could be much older. Travis is the only legally UK bred tortoise and has his license.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We had a Western Hog Nose Python until recently when it passed away.

[​IMG]

Now my daughter has a Madagascar Giant Day Gecko that has just reached sexual maturity.

[​IMG]

2ofus, Philip Nulty and CJay like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen, we have geckos that appear on the screen door to the kitchen. They vary in size, but I've never checked them for sexual maturity, and probably never will!

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

How neat ! He looks like the Geico gecko. Love that commercial.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

EJ,..i love your prehistoric pets,..delighted to read their history and boy do they have a history,..and a long one,..i am sure they love being in the garden,..probably the house as well come winter,..is your garden secure from would be thieves?.

Marlingardener,..i envy you that location and your population,..not too sure about the Snappers though:smt106

CJay,..Bella and Fluffy look content,..i never had a snake for a pet,..you have me thinking.

Eileen,..you are full of surprises,..a Western Hog Nose Python,..way to go:smt023,..sorry to see it went walkabout.
    Nice Gecko your Daughter has,..she must have gone down the same road as you,..reptile fan.

11. CJay

CJay In Flower

Thank you. They're good babies. But fluffy is kind of a spaz. Bella is content to curl up in my shirt and chill. Fluffy just wants to explore and get away from me.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. EJ

Philip, out garden is secure with locked gates plus they have their own area of garden which is fenced off from the rest, stops the dog playing with them and stops them eating precious plants.

stratsmom and Philip Nulty like this.
  13. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

EJ,..nice to know they are safe,..one can not leave anything out these days,..lol about the dogs playing with them,..i know what you mean but i was thinking to myself,..playing tag.

14. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

your tortoises bring back lots of good memories of my childhood and being around my grandparents tortoises that were called Bill and Ben.

My son couldn't believe the ages of yours when i told him.

marlingardener likes this.
  15. albertvadas

albertvadas New Seed

I always wondered how people could keep such pets at home. It's a huge responsibility.

16. ShadoJz

ShadoJz New Seed

I want to correct you a little bit. Owning any pet is a big responsibility, whether it's a turtle or a cat. When we take a pet into our home, we have to impose some rules on ourselves that we must follow. First of all, we must monitor the pet's health because any failure in their body can lead to death. Secondly, we must always choose the proper diet. For this purpose, it is worth always learning something new on the internet. For example, can animals eat this or that food? Thirdly, we must ensure comfortable living conditions. All this is the responsibility that falls on us.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Droopy likes this.