My Today (and it isn't pretty)

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Islandlife, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

My today wasn't pretty but it was (ugh) WHITE...........

DSC_0438.JPG

The white stuff is coming down again with a vengeance and will continue for at least 1 more day. Alerts all over the place to stay off the roads. No school happened, no garbage got picked up and no mail was delivered.

Just not right to see a palm tree looking like this:

DSC_0437.JPG

This is the backyard. Poor birds aren't even getting close to the feeder.

DSC_0442.JPG

The back deck:

DSC_0441.JPG

DSC_0439.JPG

DSC_0443.JPG

2ofus, majorcatfish, eileen and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Zigs
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, you have my deepest sympathy (not sarcastic, just sincere). We lived through years of similar weather, and although those who don't have to cope think it's "pretty," we know better!
    I always called this kind of weather "glass of port and a good novel, read by the fire" weather.

Islandlife and Henry Johnson like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Even here we have had days like that and I do think it's beautiful. But then everything closes and the only people on the streets are the Yankees who think they know how to drive in snow here and they might up north but ours almost always has at least a half inch of ice under it. In the old days the snow events would begin with a heavy rain, the front would move through dropping the temps down below freezing and the rain on the streets and lawns would turn to ice and the rain falling at that time would become sleet adding even more ice to the streets and in a couple of hours when the temp dropped even further it would turn to snow.
    Locals are always being made fun of because we hole up and wait for it to clear but we are not the ones who end up in the ditches.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Islandlife and majorcatfish like this.
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well, *I* think it's gorgeous!! And yeah, that's really easy for me to say, given that I'm not living in all that white!! ;)

I paused a bit at the pic of your back deck, and that little red pinwheel. I have that same pinwheel which is why I first paused there, but then I just realized how cool that pop of red looked against all that white! I don't know if that was by accident or design, but the visual effect was wonderful.

Islandlife likes this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Even although I come from Scotland I still think that snow looks rather attractive. I've used photographs of snow (just like your last one) as backgrounds for Christmas cards. Everyone that gets on of them says how beautiful they are. Sooooo - can I pinch yours please?

Frank and Islandlife like this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

The white stuff is still coming :( This was last night before I went to bed. The palm tree has now all but disappeared -
    DSC_0444.JPG

AND it is STILL snowing!!!!

That 'pop' of colour is now under about double the snow of yesterday when I took the first photo

DSC_0452.JPG

And still it snows. Most of our roads are now impassible, City is issuing alerts for everybody to stay home as there are mega accidents everywhere. We get melting which creates a layer of ice underneath the layer of snow which makes any outside travel (by car or by foot) very treacherous.

DSC_0448.JPG

DSC_0451.JPG

Just hope the electricity stays on. Otherwise it is gonna be a real COLD one ;)

eileen likes this.
  8. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

UGH! Pretty or not, I don't want it. We've been very lucky so far this winter. I think we have only two inches in the snow bucket, and Tuesday it's supposed to be up in the fifties. C'mon spring!

Islandlife likes this.
  9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That's what I have been waking up to lately too. It looks so much prettier in your yard ;)

Islandlife likes this.
  10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

It is still snowing!

Part of my gripe is that so long as it snows I'm IN the HOUSE and then am noticing all the dust and tasks that need doing AND I'm DOING them! ;) ;) ;) (Oh my aching back!) ;)

IF this snow keeps up I have cooked enough for the rest of the year BUT that'll be OK cause you will be able to eat off my floors!

LIcenter and marlingardener like this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sometimes cabin fever turns into cabin cleaning. When we lived in upstate NY I spent my winters making soups and stews, shoveling snow, cleaning house, shoveling snow, and shoveling snow. I had a very clean house, a bulging freezer, and biceps that were the envy of body builders!

LIcenter likes this.
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane, no wonder you hate winter....all that work!!!

13. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Looks really great but I'm glad its not here. We have had a about 1/2 inch which is all we need. Its just about gone now

14. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

I honestly feel your pain islandlife. I'm shedding tears for ya. :crying: Just a quick question; Did you happen to make any homemade pizza? :whistling: I love pizza. :heart:

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It is STILL snowing here too, and snow hasn't even been in our forecast! My house is getting really clean too!

16. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

STILL SNOWING! I've almost finished 3 quilts for the Grandkids, the bathrooms are so bright and gleaming I have to put my sunglasses on to go inside and use them, can now eat off all the floors and not 1 finger print on any of the windows!! I've made 3 batches of soup, baked bread and have half a winter cap knit..........

IF this weather doesn't stop there is going to be nothing left to do in here!! ;) ;)

AND it is STILL snowing ........ back out to shovel AGAIN .........