mystery plant seems to be growing daily before my eyes..

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by scoulthard, May 29, 2009.

1. scoulthard

scoulthard New Seed

I have two plants I need help with id'ing..

first one I am 99% sure is a hibiscus, I got some groundcover from my Mom-in-laws yard and brought it home in a bucket, now there are two small sprouts coming up, I'm thinking a hibiscus pod got thrown in the mix.. they are very slow growing and look an awful lot like pot plants! the second and third pic is a very healthy plant that seems to grow a little more each day. I had a flower pot behind my deck that I thought I had a mandevilla in last year and a couple of weeks ago I noticed it had sprouted up.. I did have a couple of hibiscus (I thought they were of the annual variety) in pots last year as well.. any chance this is a hibiscus as well? I took a leaf cluster to my local nursery and they said mandevilla is definitely not a plant to come back..

There are no blooms at all..I wish a flower would pop out! help!

Shannon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. scoulthard

scoulthard New Seed

is that better? sorry I'm new to this forum..;)

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Much better, thanks. These old eyes need the bigger photos you get from embedding them instead of the smaller ones in the albums ;)

I don't know where you live. but those do look like the hardy variety of Hibiscus which do come back every year. The tropical variety has shiny leaves and doesn't unless you are in a tropical climate or they are in a greenhouse setting.
    Are they multi-stemmed? Hibiscus puts out many stems, the flowers don't show up until they have plenty of sun and warm temps.

Advertisement
  6. scoulthard

scoulthard New Seed

the big one is the one I'm the most curious about..yes it has long thin stems, (tons of them)..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. scoulthard

scoulthard New Seed

I'm in southern VA, zone 7B.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

The one that looks like pot leaves looks like my Texas Star Hibiscus leaves.Hibiscus coccineus.If it is its a beauty.

Description

A Texas Native, Hibiscus coccineaus is a tall, slender perennial Hibiscus that produces large bright red, 5 petal flowers from summer until fall. The foliage has large 5 fingered palmate leaves with serrated lobes and because of this has embassingly been mistaken as Cannabis sativa on more than one occasion, even calling out the Swat Team here in the Houston area! Not to worry this plant is totally unrelated. Texas Star Hibiscus can grow to 6 feet tall and is adaptable to many soil types as long as it has ample moisture, and it is often found in bog areas and in Texas wetlands. Texas Star Hibiscus blooms on new growth and can be cut back after flowering to maintain size and encourage new bloom, and after first freeze cut back to the ground. It is a great plant to attract ruby throated hummingbirds, bees, and birds to your yard and works great around ponds and bogs.

Hardiness: USDA Zones 5-10
    Plant Use: Flowering Perennial
    Exposure: Full Sun
    Water Requirements: High

[​IMG]
    Texas Star ( photo / image / picture from glendann's Garden )

9. scoulthard

scoulthard New Seed

thanks! I will be sure to post new pics with either one of them if they should EVER bloom! I know I am am being impatient.:)

10. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

They will bloom, in fact the first one looks like it is setting buds. They could be any color, you will just have to be patient. :) Can't wait to see them in bloom.