Natural weed killer in your cupboard!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Tooty2shoes, Jun 11, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Tooty... I found the 20% acidity vinegar at Lowes ($20 for a gallon). It's in the section with things like orchid & cactus potting mix, etc.
    I used the last of my 10% over the weekend. I have one problem area where this fine grass wants to take over the rocky area. It keeps coming back. I'll try to remember to take a photo. Hopefully the 20% will do the trick.

2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Chery I will have to check at our Lowes again. I looked in the outdoor gardening section. I will check and see if they have the 20% vinegar. That would be super. Thank you. ;)

3. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Tooty, I'm not sure you can make your own garlic spray, I buy Mosquito Barrier -I only had to us it once or twice for the season. It is so strong! You are supposed to use it when it hasn't rained for 24 hours and will not rain for another 48.

Of course, the first time I used it, we had a surprise shower two ours later! It was a lot of work spraying 2 acres! But, it still worked! No mosquitos for about 6 weeks. And absolutely no ticks on the dogs, which was a real treat for me, since I think the dogs have a transportation arrangement with the ticks. Quinn follows me around and he ends up smelling like a salad too.

This year it's worse for both ticks and mosquitos, my mosquito barrier arrives this week!

4. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

oh Tooty, I forgot to add. I read online that beebalm leaves deter mosquitos. You are supposed to crush the leaves and rub on your skin. I tried this Sunday night, since I am tired of spraying Neet on me. It seems to have worked, no bites!

Advertisement
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Cris I have a Jerry Baker book that I know has a few garlic recipes for different garden stuff. I'll have to check if he has one for mosquito's. Neat to hear about the bee balm keeping you bite free. :stew1:

6. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Back to weeds, if I have something like those big spikey evil nettle things with taproots, I just take my electric kettle outside and pour boiling water on it after I cut it off at the ground -nothing comes back if you cook it!

7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Cris is that stinging nettle? If it is you have a power house weed that is really good for you to eat. It is 10% protein which no other veggies can come close to.
    It as has high levels of mineral, especially calcium magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorus, manganese, and others. Plus it is a great source of Vit-C, and B-complex. Do a search online for how you harvest it. If you have allergies nettles are great for that also.You didn't know you had such a power house eatable weed in your yard. I wish we had some around hear. I would love to try it steamed. :stew1:

8. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

really? that is interesting! I know it has spines and a big taproot and usually grows where you don't want it LOL

I will definitely check it out.

BTW, how was your garlic recipe? I went outside to have a gin & tonic and a good cry over the bed-destruction and I wasn't bothered by one mosquito!

9. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

looked at pictures, one of mine I use boiling water if it's in a path is horsenettle...

the stinging nettle looks familiar but that's not the one I battle. I'll see if I can find any!

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Cris one of the bug repellent recipes I have is for a smaller amount.
    You cut up 6 cloves of garlic and one tablespoon of baby shampoo in a quart of warm water. Spray it on your plants and the bugs will stay away.

But with the area you have to cover it would take a lot of garlic.

Let me know what you find on eating stinging nettle. You can also eat burdock. Dig up the root of younger plants and peel it and cut it up into small hunks. Boil like potatoes and check for when it gets soft like they do when boiled. Then mash and eat like you would potatoes. Yummy.

11. Katagram

Katagram New Seed

I tried your idea using apple cider vinegar as that is all I have on hand. Tested it in one corner of my flower garden. Went back to look about 2 hours later and was shocked to see the weeds shrivelling up and dying! Woohoo! I sprayed a larger area and I am not seeing it work as fast, but it may be due to the temp outside from the first application to the second. Stil, it worked, and so easy and cheap! Thanks for the fantastic idea!

12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Glad you like the idea. I have been enjoying watching all the weeds die I have been spraying. It even works on clover which is so wonderful. ;)