Need advice on growing Culantro indoors

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by stringendo, Feb 25, 2012.

1. stringendo

stringendo New Seed

Slightly off topic, but I need help w/ a CULantro plant I recently bought. I'm trying to grow it indoors, repotted it from the starter pot it came in, and it keeps trying to die on me. At 1st the leaves looked like they were drying out; I know it needs moisture so I tried to water it more frequently, but in the last couple days it is looking wilted.
    Today it's completely flopped over and flaccid, not dried out, but wilted looking--even the new growth in the middle. The soil is still damp--did I overwater? Does anyone know of or have experience w/ this herb? Help! (PS, I've never been able to get CILantro to grow successfully indoors either).

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have never heard of culantro, What is it and what do you use it for?

4. worldblue

worldblue New Seed

Cilantro is a bit temperamental. This herb doesn't like to be repotted. But if it came in a small container you didn't really have a choice but to give it more room. Cilantro has a long tap root and needs a deep pot (about 8 inches deep).

Growing herbs are thirsty so keep the potting mix moist, but not soggy. Does your pot have a drainage hole? If not, it could be sitting in soggy mix.

One thing that's difficult to provide for herbs indoors is plenty of sunshine. Give it several hours of sun each day.

Hope this helps. :)

Christine

5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I too had never heard of it, but I googled it and perhaps something from this site will help?

Advertisement
  6. stringendo

stringendo New Seed

Well I lost it, but I think it's because the soil got too moist. I should've used a sandier soil as your website suggested. :-(

7. Karrma

Karrma In Flower