Need help in growing potatoes.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by dmullins, Apr 24, 2010.

1. dmullins

dmullins New Seed

Planted bakers and reds in some plastic crates that I have. They have broken the ground and are starting to grow. Do I add another crate w/dirt on top of that? When are they picked (harvested)? How do I care for them? Also built another garden this year, and now am working with tomatoes and cukes in the new spot (crop rotation), and corn and bells in the original spot, w/spud boxes in between the two plots. It seems to be a good and productive crop :-D , I'm just not sure about the spuds :-? . Any help will help. Happy gardening, and will be back later.

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

When the leaves are about 25 cms up you can put more dirt on them, about 10-15 cm I'd say.

When to harvest depends on the variety. I don't know yours. The early potatoes can be checked when the flowers are fully open. If the tubers are too small, wait for a couple of weeks more.

The later ones are harvested when the foliage is dying down. Good luck.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

I usually dig throughout the growing season for new potatoes to steam or to cook with green beans !! Still I have plenty at harvest time !!They are just too good !!!!I can`t help it !!!