Need help with black spots on peppers

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Mountain Juggalo, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Mountain Juggalo

Mountain Juggalo New Seed

My peppers looks like someone burned them, like they took a magnifing glass to them. Some black spots and the bigger black spots have the inner parts of them falling out. I have no idea of plant Diseases so im dumbfounded please help!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have read of three different names that could be the problem with your peppers.
    Blossom End Rot - the spots are on the blossom end of tomatoes or peppers and are caused by irregular watering, the plant is unable to take up the calcium it needs.
    Black Spot - which may be the same as Blossom End Rot.
    Bacteria Spot-Xanthomonas campestris subsp. vesicatoria,

It sounds like you might need to take one of the peppers to your local Cooperative Extension Office to see if they can ID it for you.

4. Hank

Hank Seedling

It does sound like blossom end rot. Have you been overwatering? Peppers don't like wet feet.

5. Mountain Juggalo

I havn't the weather might have. Dunno if it could be Blossom End sense its on my leaves don't have peppers yet.

Advertisement
  6. Hank

Hank Seedling

Oh, it's on the leaves....that's another problem. Read Here andHere

7. Mountain Juggalo

Bacterial Spot of Pepper is the culprate I belive. Anyone know a good way to treating this and curing it or is my peppers done for?

8. Hank

Hank Seedling

You may have a lousy crop this year if that's what ails ya. No peppers or tomaters in that spot next year (or two), and I'd suggest pasturizing your soil next spring by covering that area with a heavy black plastic to let the sun cook the nasties out.

9. Anitra

Anitra New Seed

Don't give up!

I had the same black spot on my peppers. I had to tear out one plant that was too far gone, but managed to save the other two.

Work cornmeal into the ground all around the area; it is a good organic anti-fungus. Watering with compost tea and worm tea is good, too, to counter the bad buggies with good buggies.

You can spray the affected plants with skim milk, diluted half-and-half with water; or with cornmeal juice (one gallon of water with one cup of cornmeal soaked in it overnight).

The most effective treatment I found, however, was fresh wormcastings out of my wormbin, with enough water to make a paste out of it, slathered on the affected parts of the plant. I have repeated that three times, once every third day, and the black spots are almost all faded away. New growth is coming in clean. The black spot hasn't spread to anything else.