Need Help with Esperanza

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by cherylad, Jul 25, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I got this plant earlier this year. It was close to 2 feet tall. Now, it's got to be over 5 feet. And I think it's starting to suffer from Flopus Overus (like Jerry's tomatoes).
    :-D

[​IMG]
    Esperanza - not blooming ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Anyhow... there's no sign of it trying to flower. And one's in the area have been blooming for a couple of weeks now. Do I go ahead and give it another dose of fertilizer that's high in phosphorus to see if I can coax it into blooming?
    Shall I prune it back? Or at least cut off those lower branches that are leaning way over?
    Or... shall I just have patience and let it do it's own thing?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Don't prune at this time of the year or you might prune off potential buds, I have read that there are some Esperanza that don't bloom until Sept and some that start in May.
    Also, it just might not be mature enough to bloom yet. A tropical perennial usually doesn't reach maturity for 2-5 years. Sometimes age of the plant determines when it will bloom, not the size.

Is it getting full sun, they need 8+ hours a day. Maybe too much water, let the soil dry out between waterings? You could fertilize with a general fertilizer every 4-6 weeks but I wouldn't use a high phosphorus fertilizer until it has shown you it's blooming schedule.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Thanks Toni... maybe this is a September blooming one? Which would be fine with me.
    yes... it gets full sun. And it did get alot of water a few weeks ago with all that rain. When I planted it, I used Osmocote (14-14-14) and gave it some more right around the time of the rains.
    Guess the answer is.... patience. Why is that always my answer? :D