Need help with my lemon tree, please

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Pinkiered, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I have a Meyer Lemon tree. Its a rescue and not doing well at all. Ive put in one of those stakes for citrus trees and have watered it everyday when it hasnt rained.

But nothing seems to be bring this little guy back to life! :'( Alot of the leaves have fallen off but theres still some left but they are yellow. Theres no signs of new one sprouting nor is there any sign of new little branchs sprouting off the trunk. No growth whats so ever.

Can someone please advise? Ive never grown one and really wont want to lose it cuz Im clueless.

2. Loading...

3. flowie

flowie Seedling

is it in a pot? in the ground? full sun? too hot? your in Texas right?
    we have alot of citrus but they are all in pots.. how big is it?
    sorry for all the questions.. LOL

they are a bit tempermental. i have a key lime tree thats just a baby right now. inside the house. it established itself and then i moved it to a different window.. it got p***y dropped all its leaves and sulked.... i left it and preyed and right now its enjoying its new spot, got all its leaves back and even has a baby lime on it... so maybe there is hope. dont give up! it might just need to re establish itself.

4. flowie

flowie Seedling

whoops.. not texas..... sorry.... :oops:

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Denee you might want to get the soil tested. You might be washing out some of the minerals it needs by over watering. Or it could be the soil you potted it in too.
    Also, did you repot it after you got it? If it has been in a too small pot for any length of time in it's life, the roots could be girdling the tree to death.

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I got it from my sisters landlord. It was in the ground in early spring but he asked me to pot is because it wasnt doing well then. So I potted it with compost/manture mix. Its in a clay pot...I would say a five gallon.

No I didnt repot it when I got it. I took the tree and pot! hehehe.

Should I move it to the shade? Or partical shade? Its getting really hot here. It was 104 the day before yesterday and 102 yesterday. I would bet its hotter today...I would say about 103 or 104. We have a thunderstorm last night. Its rained alot here since I got it. All my other plants are doing well, including the roses I rescued from him.

I dont like lemons so had no desire for one but didnt want to watch this little guy die so I took him too.

7. flowie

flowie Seedling

hm.. maybe morning sun mid day shade? especially since its SO hot there.. i know citrus likes it hot but i dont know about 100 plus heat....
    and in a clay pot you must be watering like 3 times a day! whew! i think you can bring him back.. ive seen your stuff.. you have a BIG green thumb.... :D hang in there and see what happenes!

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

OK..I guess he is just taking his time recovering.

Thanks!

9. SallyJ

SallyJ New Seed

Lemon Tree - Food Required?

Sounds to me like this lemon tree needs a good feed. I feed my lemon tree 2/3 times a week with a high nitrogen foliar feed (this helps the plant absorb the food before it is washed through the soil). Hope this helps.

10. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Thank you...Ill try that