need opinions r:e tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by CritterPainter, Feb 23, 2012.

1. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

My new place has a west-facing garage wall that will get a bit of shade once the trees leaf out. But it will get some late direct sun and plenty of indirect (it faces a sidewalk and street). There is a 2-ft. wide bit of soil all along it planted into boxwoods that I am going to move elsewhere. I'd really like to plant tomatoes there, any thoughts on a particular type that would do well in bright shade & late-day direct sun? I've read up on some, but nothing beats real experience :). I have really great sandy loam here but it hasnt been amended in years so I'll be working in fertilizer.
    Thanks much for any input! I'm planning on a mostly-edible landscape!

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What kind of tomatoes do you like/need? slicers, cherry, paste...

2' is a little narrow for an indeterminate tomato, but not impossible to grow there. You just need to keep it pruned off the sidewalk so you are not constantly brushing it and getting the green stuff from the leaves on your clothes.

A determinate tomatoes fruit tends to get ripe within a couple of weeks, not an extended period of time like an indeterminate.

If they are not in direct sun most of the day, you may see a difference in the amount of fruit they make and they may be susceptible to the mildews and blights, so maybe keep in mind a disease resistant variety, also or keep them sprayed for the diseases.

with either type grow them in a cage or tie them up with a stake and string.

So..grow what you like. the concept is going to be the same no matter what the variety is that you choose.

CritterPainter likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tomatoes without early morning sun, and with a garage wall in back of them may develop fungal problems. Air circulation won't be the greatest, and the sun won't take off the morning dew quickly. Be prepared to spray a lot!
    Personally, I'd make a salad garden there--lettuces, radishes, perhaps some other greens like Swiss chard or spinach. Two feet wide is sufficient space, the dew wouldn't be a problem, and lettuces and greens can survive and thrive with less direct sun. Perhaps there is another spot where your tomatoes could go?

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I agree. Would be better for greens than tomatoes. Need full sun for tomatoes. You could do a bed of mixed lettuce there and possibly even put the tomatoes in pots if no other place is available. Then move them where ever the sun is shining on your property.

Advertisement
  6. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

well, I like all those ideas! I think I will do a salad garden there, it does seem like that would work better. And I do appreciate all the good information on tomatoes, they are my absolute favorite and I love all kinds.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have tried tomatoes in partial shade and it just doesn`t work. They are full sun plants. If it gets much warmer here I will have to get busy on mine. One thing about the salad garden, it does best in cool temps so as well as spring greens, if you replanted in fall you could have salad almost year round. That wall will hold some extra heat in winter enough to keep at growing temperature. I use scissors and cut the tops to eat on half of mine. Then wash and bag for fridge. Next time I do the other half. it doesn`t take long for it to grow back. I leave about 2 inches after cutting. If you are going to have a hard freeze, cut it like that and throw some leaves on top. then when it warms a bit just brush the leaves off the top and it will grow again.