Need some help with Hanging baskets

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Big T, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Big T

Big T New Seed

Hello,
    I have approx 5 hanging baskets 16" that I need help with. I need to know what are the best plants that will survive in full sun and have great color as well as cascading flowers to add to the baskets..Thanks all.
    One more question.These baskets will be positioned in a retail area approx 7' high. What is the best way to secure them so they will not swing back and forth with the weather..
    I live is South New Jersey

2. Loading...

3. DawnsGarden

DawnsGarden New Seed

Petunias always look nice and full.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Welcome to GardenStew, Big T.
    What zone do you live in and how windy does it get? A lot of answers will depend on that.

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Garden centers always have a great selection of sun lovers. You may get inspired by shopping and seeing the different options.

Advertisement
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Take a look at Aptenia cordifolia & Tradescantia pallida.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Wind is always a problem for me too with my hanging baskets. Don't plant anything too delicate because the wind can do a lot of damage to them. I love bacopa in the baskets and add your favorite flower for your zone. Not sure what your zone would be, you should be able to pick something at your local nursery. They can also provide some valuable information.

8. Donna Moyer

Donna Moyer New Seed

I live near you just outside of Phila. I love and have great success with Wave Petunias. They always get very full and are very sturdy.
    I am not sure the best way to secure the baskets for your setup. Can you post a picture of where you will be hanging them and perhaps we can offer some suggestions?

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Pictures would really help if you showed the area you will be hanging them in. Good idea Donna. I do use pulleys to get my baskets lowered and the baskets have the matting in them. I connect the basket itself to another spot on our shed with a light rope to help with the wind and to keep them from spinning or hitting the shed. It helps some but it all depends on how strong the wind is....sometimes they become disconnected on the lower rope and I have to hook it back up again to keep them from spinning.