Nekkid trees

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Coppice, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Many nurseries deliver bare-root trees. If your spring is going like mine is, and have just received a bundle of trees as the snow drifts around your compost bin, whatcha going to do with a bundle of bare-root saplings?

If you had dug out your holes last fall, and put the dug out soil under cover, you could in fact plant hearty trees with that held-back soil. they are dormant and can take the weather while dormant.

I did not take my own advice, so I just re-hydrated a pail full of peat moss. I used that moss to heel in trees into a bottom draining pot. I also added water to remove-reduce air pockets. Those saplings can sit with minor shelter till The snow drifts melt away in SE-OH. Time enough now to replant when my fingers don't turn blue...

2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Snow is melting, the sun is shining its time to get bare-root trees into soil in pots.

I also potted up my last (castenea) chestnut and chinkapin, both of which had roots erupting into the peat-moss standing in place for soil while they were in the fridge.

Cornus mas stones in their warm germinating pan have also gone out of doors.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It sounds like you are going to be a very busy gardener.

5. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

I hope to create a legacy of two food islands.

Swedeborgian and mormon missionaries planted what they perceived as model gardens of Eden.

Advertisement
  6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

OIKOS and Mussers delivered in the past day-or-so. Everything that needs potting is done. I will hold off on repotting azalea till I gets some paper-white pans for them.

The azalea are definately inflaming my hoarding gland. they are tiny and just rooted cuttings. For a bonsai guy these are gems. reds and "orchid", a new to me color...

7. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

I took some antonovka (apple) babies and used them as the feet of grafted trees. I used some local russet apple top-wood and cobbled together my own little monsters.

Three of the five I built have woken up and look pretty good.

Inasmuch as I only did this once and something more than twenty-five years ago, I'm over the moon with joy.

its not quite time to climb on on a roof-top and exclaim :Its alive!!, but its close...