New Bed where bloom house was a few years ago

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, May 9, 2016.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

This area sat looking ugly and unkept for about 4 years, first we were thinking of building a new shed there but as the years went by that became just a dream best forgotten. Don't know why it took so long for me to think about doing this, I had built the shade bed on the north side of the house totally from scratch several years and so why not do that here.
    I needed fencing or something as a border to hold the leaves, sticks, soil, compost, etc in place, started looking around. The 3 footings we had bought years ago for the shed foundation were already there with no place else to go, found the neglected planter sitting lonely and forlorn about being unused, an old small ice chest that had seen better days, another long pot left unused for too long and an old mailbox that needed to be put in a new location....the unseen end is a stack of bricks. Went through my junque stash and found the various 'pretties' to put in front of them. The wheel (replica bought at Big Lots years ago) and the bed part had been out there for a long time.
    The leaves and sticks will eventually compost, I spread top soil over them and then compost. Got the plants in place last Saturday....Shamrock Oxalis, Impatiens, Hosta, Deadnettle and a Heuchera and voila I have a new flower bed. Then end at the fence on the left will have an old piece of metal ceiling tile attached to the fence as soon as I find the tin snips to separate the two I have.
    NewBed.JPG
    The other side of the open space....the cart I found last week for my birthday sealed with Spar Varnish and holding a Fuschia and three ferns, next to it a Foxglove that has seen better days, a potted Caryopteris 'Longwood Blue', pot of water plant (don't remember what it is) and one of my SnowLadies. The fence was put up many years ago and some baskets I forgot to put up before taking the photo. But I do plan on lining them and planting something in them soon.
    NewBed2.JPG
    There is also a chair with a planter on it but it isn't quite ready for it's photo to be taken and will be a table and couple of other chairs soon too. I need to get some fence slats for the chain link fence for a little privacy too.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good Toni!