New Compost Barrel- New pictures and measurements

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by toni, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a nice idea, Toni. I've never seen anything quite like it. The "old-fashioned" type that I have is very basic and requires the contents to be manually turned with a fork every so often. Even though it is off the ground a few cm's the moles still manage to get up into it to plunder the resident worms. :-? This model that you have is mole-proof!
    Which reminds me Toni...don't forget to dig up some earthworms to put in it. They'll work for you for room and board. ;)

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

What a great idea Toni! My husband can get those barrel's from work. I think if I had one of those my compost would be ready a lot quicker. You see, I have a problem when it comes to turning the pile...

3. Jay_204

Jay_204 New Seed

Newbie at Compost

My dad and I have just started a compost pile in a tank. We have put dirt in it with kitchen scraps. We use a pail for the scraps as well. What I would like to know is when do you turn it and when our pail becomes full do we still put it in the barrel?

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Better file for a patent !!! Great idea and invention. :)

Advertisement
  5. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Great idea. Composters similar to yours (only much smaller) sell for well over $100.00. Looks like it will work great!

6. Jay_204

Jay_204 New Seed

I wanted to rephrase that question: The tank actually is a barrel similar to (I believe) the first post) but when do I turn it and can i keep putting things in it?

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I turn mine every couple of days, rolling it about 3 or 4 times to stir things up a bit. When you add things to it roll the barrel so the new stuff is on the bottom where it can start decomposing. Also, be sure to roll the opening to the bottom before you get rain. The water will seep in and create an awful stink.

I would like to have a second one for when the first load is almost finished I can start making more.
    Hopefully I can get one more for compost and two more for rainwater collection early next month....where I am going to put them all is another problem but I will get it done somehow.

I haven't been adding to mine as consistently as I should but when I checked it this morning there was a definite fragrance of good soil. It isn't finished compost yet since you can still make out what it used to be so I will be adding more to it thru the spring and summer.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I wasn't around for this posting... sure glad it came up again.... great idea! I may have to steal your design.

9. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

I think "something" for a crank when heavy to facilitate turning would be very helpful.

Nice job.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The pull handles he put on that one have worked just fine so far but my arms aren't as strong as they used to be so the new one will have a new rotating system and he will retro-fit the old barrel with it too.

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

compost barrel

Making compost barrel today.
    How many vents do I need and where do I put them?
    Will drilling holes in barrel be enough?
    Can I put earthworms,and chicken manure in compost barrel?

12. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

I just came across this forum and I really like your idea. Since it has been several years since your first barrel, do you have any pictures of a newer one? I may have missed it, but where did you have the handles on the barrel to help turn it? Also, how do you dump it when compost is finally ready? Is it large enough to put a wheelbarrow under and then flip it upside down and open door? I have a compost pile, but it is just inside a slatted box I paid $100 for. My hubby just might make this one for me.

13. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

One of my customer was taking out limestone blocks had 2 pickup loads. So I pile them into 3 compost area.And being in country. I don't turn mine much.Do every one and while with pitch work.But a ball of Bull snakes who have lived in that area for all most 15 years. They keep it well turned. And keep mice out.Would like to get contained one. In winter have to climb over snow drift to get to it. My flowers love compost tea.

14. poodledoodlemom

poodledoodlemom Seedling

I have got to get my hubby to make me one of those! Great idea!

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Toni---I just found this thread. Great design on that compost tumbler. Tell me, how is it doing now?