New Girl from Colorado

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Quiyn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Quiyn

Quiyn New Seed

Hello everyone. I'm Quiyn. I looked through a couple of different gardening forums and this one seemed to be the friendliest and most active, so here I am.

I'm really excited to get started. I'm 16 and from Colorado. My dad just accepted and new position and we moved into a house, and he promised me a yard so I could start veggie gardening. Dad and I lived for the past five years in an apartment in downtown Seattle. But now I have a yard, and Dad has given me free reign over it. But besides a garden, he's given me the job of getting the lawn in better shape. The house was on the market most of the summer and it's been hot and dry, so it's pretty pathetic. I've spent the last week pulling weeds.

When I'm not gardening (which until a week ago was never), I'm a high school student (junior this year), a dance/theater/fitness photographer, and hope to go to college to become a nutritionist.

Anyhow, I know it's too late to start gardening this season (I want to do veggies because I love to cook). I really have a love of plants and have started buying different books to help get me started. I look forward to picking everyone's brains here and there and learning from the experts.

Thank you all!

Odif likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Quiyn, welcome to GardenStew from north central Texas. What part of Colorado are you in....flat land or mountains? Glad to have you join us.
    Since it is too late for you to plant, it's the perfect time to get the plot ready for next Spring. Mark out the size, install an edging, dig out the lawn and weeds then dig in lots and lots of compost. Then next Spring dig in more compost and start planting when the temperature is right.
    And winter is a great time to start drooling over seed/plant catalogs and dreaming of next years harvest.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Quiyn and a hearty, public welcome to GardenStew :hi: Always great to see younger people getting into gardening. I applaud you :smt038 I think your Dad made a good decision giving you free reign over the garden. There are so many helpful folk here so don't be shy with your questions. Enjoy the community!

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Hi Quiyn and welcome to GardenStew! There are so many great, friendly gardeners on here and they are always willing to help. I second Toni's advice to start preparing you garden spot this year. The better the soil, the better the vegetables will grow.

Advertisement
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hi and welcome to garden stew. Are you sure that there are no winter crops that will grow in your region?

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Quiyn, welcome to Gardestew from Chelmsford, MA.

Jerry

8. Quiyn

Quiyn New Seed

Thank you all for the greetings. It never even occurred to me that I could start prepping my garden now. Yep, time to head to the local greenhouse and pick up some supplies :)

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Quiyn :wave:
    Welcome to GardenStew from southern Ontario!
    Prepping the garden now is a great idea!

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Hey Quiyn! Welcome! :smt039

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry I'm late in welcoming you Quiyn but I've been on holiday. It's lovely to have someone your age so interested in gardening and we'll help you out if you have any questions or problems. WELCOME to GardenStew from Scotland.

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am late as well but welcome from Texas ! There are many cool weather veggies that may grow there. Would be a good idea to ask at the local greenhouse since you are going anyway. Lettuces, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage should be able to start now for fall.

Quiyn likes this.
  13. liono

liono Seedling

Hi Quiyn, from Benghazi Libya.

I love your enthusiastic spirit in gardening at such young age! Way to go and best of luck growing your plants. Don't for get to share your experience.