New volunteer is Plantae non Grata, any guesses to it's ID?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Square?? Mine is round. More than one species? I now have one in a pot and it is classified as a POW. I want to see if it has flowers and berries The bottom two inches does not have barbs and is round. Am I looking in the right place?

Jerry

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I'll double check to see if I can find another one to make sure, but it sure looked square to me. Maybe the barbs made it seem that way. Tomorrow when it is light out I'll go find another volunteer to look at. :D

3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

HI all: when I googled it I found this great info with pictures of how it flowers and the berries it gets. Just go to; www.invasive.org/weedcd/species/3065/htm
    It sounds like a really bad weed. :eek: Glad you got to it when you did and pulled it out.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Thank you Patti, for the URL for the invasive species site, good site, lots of info.

Jerry

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, I looked again and it's stem is square. the barbs run right along the "corner" the stem on each side. I am not quite sure just how to word this. Does this make sense?

[​IMG]
    mile a minute weed stem ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    mile a minute weed ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

Does yours look like this also?

6. Jerry Sullivan

Allright sort of square. I imagine if I treated my POW with care and watered and fed it it might get bigger and the stem would expand to be a square. This plant is lucky to be in a pot :twisted: Later in the season I may capture another one. If I found three in such a short timeframe there are more.....watching......waiting......

Jerry

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry, I was pulling them left and right. I had to borrow a glove from Kevin, as he was walking through the garden, as I was weeding. the barbs were starting to hurt as I was carefully trying to grab them to pull them. :-x :twisted: :scheming:

8. Jerry Sullivan

At this juncture in the season the plant barbs are beginning to harden and gloves are needed. I was looking at an invasive species distribution map and it is a bit out of date. Summit county was not included. :-( The plant is spreading at the rate of 3-4 miles a year from its point of origin, York County, PA.

Jerry