Newbie gardener needs help

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Platinum23, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Platinum23

Platinum23 New Seed

We have these plants at our new rental property and I have no idea what type of plant they are.

The leaves are drooping now also and I have no idea why. I only water when the soil feels like it needs water and I have it plant food.

Any help IDing the plant would be great!

Attached Files:

purpleinopp and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Looks like a Yucca. There are several types. Are the leaves pointed enough to draw blood? If not, compare to Y. elephantipes/guatamalensis.

Platinum23, Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  4. kate

kate In Flower

I agree with Purple...Yucca...of a kind.
    K

Platinum23 and Philip Nulty like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yucca grows wild here, so it must be a tough, easy-care plant. Does that plant pot have drainage? With the wet spring we had here in Texas, many yucca literally drowned, even if they were not in standing water. And since yucca grows on caliche (which is really poor kinda soil) feeding it may not be necessary.

Platinum23 and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Platinium,..yes Purpleinopp is correct,..its a Yucca elephantipes One Stem,..not to be confused with Yucca alofolia known as Spanish Bayonet which really has VERY sharp points on the leaf.

I have one in my Sitting Room,..mine is about 30 inches high and i expect the leaves to yellow and fall off in time,..new growth will appear at the top so hopefully that is what is happening with yours,..this plant likes the soil to almost dry before watering again,..doesn't like shade but thrives on a sunny location,.. not to be allowed so much sun as to scorch it,..you have a nice plant there and hopefully its just going through a new growth process,..i only give mine a cupful of water every week but do spray the top area ever so lightly.

Platinum23 likes this.
  7. Platinum23

Platinum23 New Seed

Yes it does prick you enough to draw blood, it has happened to me many times!

Yes the pot does have drainage, but I have it sitting on a saucer to protect the cement from any pot or water damage.

It does have quite sharp points which have made me bleed a few times. I have it sitting in mostly shade, maybe I should move it onto the grass and into the sun?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. purpleinopp

It does sound like it's the sharp one Philip mentioned. It may be hardy where you are.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Tiffany,..i agree with you there,..if its sharp at the tips enough to make one bleed,..Spanish Bayonet it is:like: so not suitable for indoors but well suited for outdoors,..even here they thrive despite all the rain we get.

purpleinopp likes this.
  10. purpleinopp

If everyone agrees on at least "some type of Yucca," they grow well in full sun in the ground where hardy. If not hardy &/or grounding isn't an option, I'd put where it gets plenty of sun but some shade during the hottest part of the day because exposure at that time can cause roots to get unnecessarily hot and often unable to deliver moisture to foliage quickly enough to compensate.

Philip Nulty likes this.